Comprehensive course analysis
Who should attend
Directors and other senior managers in the private and public sectors who want to improve the impact of their communications, including:
- Those influencing up, down, across, and outside of the management structure and organisation; working with professional bodies or public figures; those influencing on boards, in committees or through into other parts of the business where they may not immediately be recognised
- Leaders who need to deliver their message with impact and have people understand, believe and follow them. For example, those leading change projects
- Team managers or individuals often involved in informal negotiations and 1:1 conversations
- Those working with clients or customers on an informal basis or involved with more formal bids and pitches.
About the course
The Influence and Impact programme enables you to become a powerful communicator with strong presentation and negotiation skills.
- Understand how to influence people at all levels
- Gain the ability to master negotiations
- Strengthen your presentation skills so you can make more successful bids and pitches
- Understand how to have difficult conversations, give feedback and deal with strong personalities as part of your role
The Influence and Impact programme is designed to improve your skills and build your confidence as a communicator. It is ideal if your role involves influencing others - both inside and outside of your organisation - or if you lead teams or change projects.
Over three days, you will develop your own communication style that you can use in both your professional and personal life. You will sharpen the skills required for successful pitches and negotiations, including how to handle high-pressure situations and strong personalities. You will then return to work with detailed preparation for an upcoming scenario such as a presentation or difficult conversation.
The course is highly practical and offers the chance to learn and network with a supportive cohort of peers.
Adapt your communication style to suit any business situation
Gain the skills and self-confidence to influence others effectively
Present and negotiate in a persuasive, credible way in order to get the best results
Gain practical takeaways for use in your current role
Develop your people to make a greater impact
Participants build the communication skills needed for success in pitches, negotiations and meetings
Engage your employees by enabling them to manage their own development and take on more responsibility
The programme is taught in an interactive workshop style and covers multiple scenarios that require you to communicate effectively and with impact. Focusing on your own examples, you will have the chance to practice new tools and techniques in a confidential environment. Teaching methods include role-play and video assessment.
Influence and Impact runs for a total of three days:
Influence and Impact: Pre-Programme
Three to four weeks before your course starts, you will:
- Receive your joining instructions
- Access resources from the virtual learning portal
Influence and Impact: Day One
In this module you will work on key communication tools, including presentation structure and body language.
Influence and Impact: Day Two
Deepen your understanding of soft skills, emotional intelligence, communication styles and strategy.
Influence and Impact: Day Three
Learn to understand emotional states, predict reactions, give feedback and address poor performance.
You will study:
- Different emotional states and how to handle them
- How to predict reactions and develop different styles for handling individuals
- Tactics and closing techniques for conversations and negotiations
- How to give feedback effectively
- How to deal with poor performance before it escalates
Influence and Impact: Post-Programme Activities
At the end of the course, you will return to work with detailed preparation for an upcoming pitch, presentation, difficult conversation or negotiation.
We encourage you to remain a part of the Henley Business School community post-programme by:
- Accessing resources from the virtual learning portal for up to 12 months
- Joining our alumni network
Peter is Programme Director for Influence & Impact programme. He has delivered programmes at Henley for ten years and also delivers sessions on Henley MBA programmes, the Advanced Management programme and on bespoke programmes for a range of corporate clients. His main areas of interest inclu...
Videos and materials
Read more about Business Communication
Read more about Negotiations
Because of COVID-19, many providers are cancelling or postponing in-person programs or providing online participation options.
We are happy to help you find a suitable online alternative.