This course has no confirmed dates in the future. Subscribe to be notified when it is offered.
About the course
Freight transport is a critical and costly function that is frequently overlooked. Yet the benefits from efficient control and administration of operations and transport vehicles can be substantial. After exploring the different transport modes of road, sea and air, this seminar looks at the practical day to day basic operational procedures to be carried out in managing a fleet of road vehicles used for freight transport. It then explores how to run these transport operations more productively, including an overview of the legislation and regulations involved. It will give a structured approach so delegates can analyze and then improve their transport operations.
## Course Objectives
At the end of the course participants will be able to:
- Give knowledge of effective Road Freight Transport Management practices
- Analyze and examine current operations
- Make organizational improvements
Day 1 An Overview of Purchasing & Supply Chain Management: Session One
What is the scope of Purchasing and its objectives?
- What are the main stages of the Purchasing Cycle?
- What are the changing roles of Purchasing & Supply activities?
- What is Proactive /Reactive role of Buying?
- What is Transactional Relationship of Purchasing?
What are the responsibilities of Purchasing?
- What are the Purchasing Policies of an organization?
- What are purchasing procedures?
What are the Buyer / Seller Relationships?
How can you create a High Powered Purchasing Organization?
An Overview of Purchasing & Supply Chain Management: Session Two
- What is the relevance of Total Acquisition Cost / Total Cost Management?
- What is the responsibility of Supply Chain concept in Purchasing?
- What are the best practices in Strategic Supply Chain Management?
- Development of purchasing activities for the future?
- What is Value Engineering or Value Analysis?
- How do you organize the Purchasing Function?
Day Two: How an Organization can conduct International Trading Activities
WHAT IS THE ROLE OF THE FREIGHT FORWARDER IN LOGISTICS & SUPPLY CHAIN MANAGEMENT?
- To distinguish the activities which fall under Freight Forwarding Services?
- Liabilities and Responsibilities under each service.
- Difference between Freight Forwarding & Logistics Operations.
- How International Trading Activities are carried out?
- Import / Export/ Transhipment Operations
- Features of International Trade
- Consultative & Advisory Functions of the Freight Forwarding Services
- Freedom of Contract of the Freight Forwarder
- Importance of Shipping Instructions
- What are Documentary Credits?
- Types of Letter of Credit? Methods of Operations
- What is the Role of the Freight Forwarder under different INCOTERMS in L/C ?
- What is Back-to-Back Letter of Credit?
- An Overview of UCP 600
CARGO & LIABILITY INSUREANCE
- Purpose of Cargo Transit Insurance.
- Types of Insurance , Coverage & Characteristics
- Liabilities of the Carriers under different modes of transport
- Claim settlement procedures
- What are the documents to be submitted for Claim Settlement?
- What is Liability Insurance?
- Purpose and applications
EXCRCISE ON WEIGHT & MEASUREMENT CALCULATIONS ON DIFFERENT MODES OF TRANSPORT
TERMS & CONDITIONS OF TRADE: STANDARD CONDITIONS
- What are Standard Trading Conditions?
- How the conditions can be affected?
- What are the obligations of the Customer / Freight Forwarder?
- How can a forwarder bring certainty to his engagement by Customer?
- What are the liabilities and limitations
Day Three: How an Organization can conduct International Trading Activities
International Trade Terms of Sales & Delivery
- What is the significance of “INCOTERMS 2010” which is effective from January 2011?
- What are INCOTERMS? Purpose, Uses & Application in International Trade.
- Detailed analysis of each of the INCOTERMS including cost and responsibility
- Strategies to be adopted for generating Consignee Routed Sales.
Multimodal Transport Operations
- What are the different types of multimodal operations?
- Characteristics , Advantages , Operating Procedures
- How are the different multimodal operators
- What are NVOCC operations? Advantages & Disadvantages.
- Liabilities and Limitations of Multimodal Operations.
- What is Project Cargo? Methods of Operation.
- Project Cargo Documentation.
- What are the different types of documents used in international trade?
- What are the different types of documents used for different modes of transport?
- What are the different of B/L and its uses?
- Purpose and use of each document in international trade and in domestic operations
Types of Shipping Services & Freight Calculations
- What are the different types of Shipping Services?
- Basis for Freight Calculations for different types of Shipping Services and Commodity.
- Weight Measurement Ratios for different modes of transportation.
An Overview of Chartering / Tramp Operations
- What is Chartering? Types of Chartering?
- What is Charter Party? Overview of Charter Party terms and conditions.
- Basis of Freight Calculations.
- Demurrage Calculations, B/Ls used in Chartering.
Day Four: Introduction to Logistics & Value Chain Analysis
- What are Customer Service and their role Logistics & Supply Chain Management?
- Historical perspective of Logistics Management.
- What is the mission, process in Logistics Management
- What is the Role of Logistics Personnel in Supply Chain Management?
- What is Supply Chain Management?
- What is Competitive Advantage?
- How can an organization achieve Competitive Advantage using Logistics & Supply
- Chain Management?
- What is the concept of Value Chain Analysis & Management?
- How can organizations use the concept of Value Chain Analysis in their Operations?
Logistics Strategy & Reengineering
- What is Time Based Logistics Strategies?
- What is Logistics Reengineering?
- What is Benchmarking and Reengineering Procedure?
- What is the concept and significance of Activity Based Costing?
Customer Service in Logistics
- What is the role of Customer Service in Logistics?
- How do you evolve a focused Logistics & Customer Service Strategy?
- How to achieve Customer Service excellence?
- Transaction Survey, Concept of Perfect Order
- Customer Retention, Customer Relations Management
- Identifying Customer Service Needs.
Day Five: An Overview of Supply Chain Management
- What are the objectives and features of Supply Chain Management?
- What are the Five Components of Supply Chain Management?
- What are the common characteristics of Supply Chain Programs?
- What is the difference between Logistics & Supply Chain Management?
- What is the significance of mapping the Supply Chain Processes?
How can organization’s Supply Chain achieve competitive strategy?
- What are the drivers of Supply Chain performance?
- What is the role of logistical drivers and cross functional drivers?
- What are the structural drivers and strategies of Wal Mart?
Negotiation Skills for Logistics Personnel
- Need for negotiation skills
- What is distributive bargaining
- What is integrative/ positional bargaining
- What are the negotiation process
- What are the rules got
- What are the rules for the negotiation process
- Negotiation: Clarification & Justification
- Bargaining & problem solving, closure & implementation
- Biases in decision making, personal traits
- Third party negotiations, cultural differences
A variety of methodologies will be used during the course that includes:
- (30%) Based on Case Studies
- (30%) Techniques
- (30%) Role Play
- (10%) Concepts
- Pre-test and Post-test
- Variety of Learning Methods
- Case Studies and Self Questionaires
- Group Work
Who should attend
- Those new to managing freight transport fleets
- Those non transport people who need to gain an awareness of the issues and key drivers of road freight transport operations
- Transport and Distribution Supervisors/Managers who need a “confirmation” of their current operations
- Those companies who buy in freight transport who need to understand the key drivers of transport operations