Who should attend
- Line managers and supervisors who are held accountable for the performance of the organization and its employees and Human Resources professionals who are responsible for the design and implementation of performance management systems.
- Human Resources staff who are responsible for the administration and management of benefits and reward
- Compensation and Benefits specialists who are new to the area or are looking for a refresher program
- More senior HR staff who are interested in the ‘Strategic’ value of the Compensation and Benefits area
- Line managers who are responsible for managing and motivating staff – and need a better understanding of how to manage remuneration
About the course
This course will challenge the current thinking about performance indicators and explain why current measures are not creating the change intended. It will help participants revolutionize the way they measure, report and improve performance through the appropriate use of the four types of performance measures (KRIs, PIs and RIs).
KPIs are organized data collecting and collating, where the Organization can monitor and evaluate their progress to drive for continuous improvements towards meeting their Objectives and fulfilling their KRAs.
This consultancy/ workshop is designed for key personnel to understand a holistic approach towards establishing, implementing and monitoring KPIs throughout the Organization.
Upon completion of this program, you will be able to:
- Create awareness on the development of the Performance Management
- Understand the Characteristics and Use of KPI
- Review various KPI and KRAs examples in practice
- Explain performance management – definitions, aims and developments.
- Develop tangible and intangible measures of performance.
- Establish business based objectives – including SMART targets and measures.
- Explain the performance management cycle and how to manage it.
- Complete the performance management cycle including end of year reviews, using competencies and the various rewards programs.
- As a result of attending this workshop delegates will have developed a clearer understanding of Reward philosophy and strategy
- Have a better understanding of how the component parts of reward strategy fit together
- To explore some of the issues surrounding the effective management of the human resource
- To understand why ‘staff’ are the most expensive resource of the organization
- To evaluate ‘new’ practices that might benefit your organization
## Course Outline
Basic Concepts in KPI Development: Setting the Scene
- What are KPIs?
- Why Measure Performance?
- KPIs – What is the Simplest Way to Develop Them?
- Activity, Efficiency, Effectiveness – What is Being Measured
- Properties of Good KPIs
- Performance Stories
- The characteristics of winning KPIs
- The difference between the 3 types of performance measures
- Lead and lag indicators revisited
- The 10, 80,10 rule for performance measures
Exercise: Revisiting existing performance measures
How to develop and use winning KPIs: The 12-step model
- The four foundation stones of a KPI project
- Outline and define the benefits for each step of implementation timeline
- Each step will be explored in detail along with the associated fact gathering questionnaires, team worksheets and checklists
2 The Roles of KPIs in Performance Management
- Technical vs. Management Issues Surrounding KPIs
- The Roles of KPIs
- Two Factors Describing the Roles of KPIs
- Guiding Principles for Determining Strategic Drivers
Workshop #1: Brainstorming critical success factors
Present KPIs in a decision-based way
- Daily KPI reporting
- Weekly KPI reporting
- Monthly performance measure reporting to the Board, management & staff
Workshop #2: Designing a dashboard for the Board
Managing With Metrics: The Core Processes
- Core Processes
- Why Bother With Core Processes?
- Private Sector – Core Processes
- Designing Management Reports Around Core Processes
Reviewing a sample of performance measures from the performance measures database
- Practical Issues with Measurement
- KPI Hierarchy
- Guiding Principles for KPIs
- Lead and Lag Indicators
- Performance Evaluation
Summary and conclusions - and the road ahead
- Marketing strategies to promote KPI development to the SMT
- The reduced 8 step process for smaller organizations
- Complete the draft implementation program for your organization
Performance Management – Introduction and Definitions
- Objectives of Performance Management
- Key Terms and Uses
- Corporate Values - Their Importance
- The Nokia Story
- The Annual Performance Cycle – Overview
- Performance Management – The Mistakes
- Great Performance Management!
Establishing Effective Objectives
- Cascading – Vision, Mission and Strategies
- Performance Criteria – 3 Types
- The Impact of Critical Success Factors on Performance
- Key Result Areas
- Key Performance Indicators (KPIs) and Units of Measure
- Financial and Non-Financial KPIs
- SMART Criteria – Establishing Individual Goals and Measures
- Measuring the Semi-Tangible Factors/Competencies
- Statistics on People and Performance
- Continuous Reviews and Assessments
- Performance Gaps
- Why Things Go Wrong with Performance
- Common Causes of Poor Performance
- Measuring Performance – Scoring Systems
- Performance Motivators
- Tips for Improving Performance
- Importance of Communication in Performance Management
The Importance of Coaching
- Coaching Responsibilities
- Poor Performance Counseling
- Benefits of Good Coaching
- Characteristics of a Good Coach
- Elements of a Good Coaching Session
- Good Habits of Effective Listeners
- Diagnosing Performance Problems
- Five Steps of Coaching for Optimal Performance
Conducting Effective Performance Appraisals
- Planning Performance Appraisals
- Preparing for the Appraisal
- Avoiding the "But" Trap
- Objective not Subjective
- Conducting Effective Appraisal Meetings
- Common Appraisal Errors
- Roles of Employees and Managers
Other Dimensions in Performance Management
- Competency-Based Performance Management
- Performance Management – It’s Not Just About Pay
- Forced Ranking Systems
- Multi-Rater Assessments
A variety of methodologies will be used during the course that includes:
- (30%) Based on Case Studies
- (30%) Techniques
- (30%) Role Play
- (10%) Concepts
- Pre-test and Post-test
- Variety of Learning Methods
- Case Studies and Self Questionaires
- Group Work
Videos and materials
Because of COVID-19, many providers are cancelling or postponing in-person programs or providing online participation options.
We are happy to help you find a suitable online alternative.