Who should attend
- Senior Managers, and Team leaders seeking to enhance their performance
- Managers desiring to sharpen their skills
- Technical staff seeking a greater understanding of management
About the course
Competencies are demonstrated behaviors that reflect the skills, knowledge, attributes and motives, which produce superior performance. Clearly then, competencies are very closely tied in to performance.
The specific objectives of this unique experience are to help you:
- Explain performance management - definitions, aims and developments.
- Develop tangible and intangible measures of performance.
- Establish business based objectives - including SMART targets and measures.
- Explain the performance management cycle and how to manage it.
- Complete the performance management cycle including end of year reviews, using competencies and the various rewards programs.
Module 1: Performance Management - Introduction and Definitions
- Objectives of Performance Management
- Key Terms and Uses
- Corporate Values - Their Importance
- The Nokia Story
- The Annual Performance Cycle - Overview
- Performance Management - The Mistakes
- Great Performance Management!
Module 2: Establishing Effective Objectives
- Cascading - Vision, Mission and Strategies
- Performance Criteria - 3 Types
- The Impact of Critical Success Factors on Performance
- Key Result Areas
- Key Performance Indicators (KPIs) and Units of Measure
- Financial and Non-Financial KPIs
- SMART Criteria - Establishing Individual Goals and Measures
- Measuring the Semi-Tangible Factors/Competencies
Module 3: Managing Performance
- Statistics on People and Performance
- Continuous Reviews and Assessments
- Performance Gaps
- Why Things Go Wrong with Performance
- Common Causes of Poor Performance
- Measuring Performance - Scoring Systems
- Performance Motivators
- Tips for Improving Performance
- Importance of Communication in Performance Management
Module 4: The Importance of Coaching
- Coaching Responsibilities
- Poor Performance Counseling
- Benefits of Good Coaching
- Characteristics of a Good Coach
- Elements of a Good Coaching Session
- Good Habits of Effective Listeners
- Diagnosing Performance Problems
- Five Steps of Coaching for Optimal Performance
Module 5: Conducting Effective Performance Appraisals
- Planning Performance Appraisals
- Preparing for the Appraisal
- Avoiding the But Trap
- Objective not Subjective
- Conducting Effective Appraisal Meetings
- Common Appraisal Errors
- Roles of Employees and Managers
Other Dimensions in Performance Management
- Competency-Based Performance Management
- Performance Management - It's Not Just About Pay
- Forced Ranking Systems
- Multi-Rater Assessments
A variety of methodologies will be used during the course that includes:
- (30%) Based on Case Studies
- (30%) Techniques
- (30%) Role Play
- (10%) Concepts
- Pre-test and Post-test
- Variety of Learning Methods
- Case Studies and Self Questionaires
- Group Work
Videos and materials
Because of COVID-19, many providers are cancelling or postponing in-person programs or providing online participation options.
We are happy to help you find a suitable online alternative.