Major Gift Solicitation Strategies
Coursalytics is an independent platform to find, compare, and book executive courses. Coursalytics is not endorsed by, sponsored by, or otherwise affiliated with Kellogg School of Management.Full disclaimer.
Empowering Fundraising Professionals
The most effective and efficient way to raise money from individuals — the source of nearly 90 percent of the charitable contributions made in the United States — has always been through personal, face-to-face solicitation. In today’s interconnected environment, where many rely on technology to deliver their messages, the personal approach is more important than ever.
In this highly interactive program, guided by our expert academic and practitioner faculty, you’ll explore the fundamentals and processes of a successful major gift solicitation strategy, examine your own leadership strengths and practice applying the science of persuasion and the art of storytelling. Participants in this program will be able to conduct successful major gift solicitations and implement a major gift program immediately after participating in this program.
- A broad understanding of philanthropy today, specifically the state of major gift solicitation
- The opportunity to craft a personal and professional introduction for major gift solicitation visit
- New knowledge and deeper understanding of the keys to successful major gift solicitation
- A detailed overview of the major gift solicitation process from identification to cultivation to solicitation to stewardship and follow-up
- A detailed step-by-step guide to major gift solicitation visit "best practices"
Trends in major gift solicitation
- Review of the current climate in major gift solicitation
- Take a brief look at current data
Leadership story lab
- Fundamental story framework
- Essential story elements
- Crafting a brief, brilliant professional introduction
- Practicing and delivering stories with guided feedback
The essential elements of a successful major gift solicitation program
- Developing and presenting a clear case for support/investment
- Organizational and board leadership
- Creating a climate for giving and a culture of philanthropy
Understanding the major gift solicitation system
- Setting visits and meetings
- Visit benchmarks
- Before and after the visit
- Tracking commitment, pending decisions
- Acknowledgement and stewardship
The anatomy of a best practices major gift solicitation
- Breaking the ice
- Setting the agenda
- Presenting the case
- Asking questions
- Asking for the gift/investment and the art of "closing"
- Follow-up, next steps
Who should attend
- New and experienced major gift officers
- CEOs and executive directors of nonprofit organizations
- Board members of nonprofit organizations
- Team members with development responsibilities at nonprofit organizations who want to learn more and/or become major gift officers
- Administrative professionals who support the major gift solicitation process