Who should attend
- New and experienced major gift officers
- CEOs and executive directors of nonprofit organizations
- Board members of nonprofit organizations
- Team members with development responsibilities at nonprofit organizations who want to learn more and/or become major gift officers
- Administrative professionals who support the major gift solicitation process
About the course
Empowering Fundraising Professionals
The most effective and efficient way to raise money from individuals — the source of nearly 90 percent of the charitable contributions made in the United States — has always been through personal, face-to-face solicitation. In today’s interconnected environment, where many rely on technology to deliver their messages, the personal approach is more important than ever.
In this highly interactive program, guided by our expert academic and practitioner faculty, you’ll explore the fundamentals and processes of a successful major gift solicitation strategy, examine your own leadership strengths and practice applying the science of persuasion and the art of storytelling. Participants in this program will be able to conduct successful major gift solicitations and implement a major gift program immediately after participating in this program.
- A broad understanding of philanthropy today, specifically the state of major gift solicitation
- The opportunity to craft a personal and professional introduction for major gift solicitation visit
- New knowledge and deeper understanding of the keys to successful major gift solicitation
- A detailed overview of the major gift solicitation process from identification to cultivation to solicitation to stewardship and follow-up
- A detailed step-by-step guide to major gift solicitation visit "best practices"
Trends in Major Gift Solicitation
- Review of the current climate in major gift solicitation
- Take a brief look at current data
Optimize Your Fundraising Potential - The "Do It Yourself" Development Audit & Assessment
- Learn the key components of the ideal development operation and the fundamentals of fundraising success
- Based on this framework and fundamentals, begin to answer the assessment questions which will help advance your operation
- Determine your readiness for an eventual capital campaign
- Inform your development plan for the next three to five years
First Person StoryWorks
- Understand the key elements of a story, and how storytelling is distinct from traditional forms of organizational communication
- Learn how to use elements of storytelling to make your messages compelling, memorable and trustworthy
- Distinguish among different types of story forms and learn how to apply them
- Develop an "ear for stories" - from your own organization as well as from donors and other stakeholders
- Gain hands-on experience crafting and telling a story to advance your development work
The Essentials of a Successful Major Gift Solicitation Program
- Developing and presenting a clear case for support/investment
- Organizational and board leadership
- Creating a climate for giving and a culture of philanthropy
Understanding the Major Gift Solicitation System
- Setting visits and meetings
- Visit benchmarks
- Before and after the visit
- Tracking commitment, pending decisions
- Acknowledgement and stewardship
The Anatomy of a Best Practices Major Gift Solicitation Strategy
- Breaking the ice
- Setting the agenda
- Presenting the case
- Asking questions
- Asking for the gift/investment and the art of "closing"
- Follow-up, next steps
Liz Livingston Howard is a graduate of Northwestern University and holds an MBA degree from the Kellogg School of Management at Northwestern. Ms. Howard is the Director of Kellogg's Nonprofit Management Executive Education programs and a Clinical Professor of Management. She developed and teaches...
Brian, a Latz & Company partner, is a seasoned development professional with more than 20 years experience as a nonprofit consultant and senior advancement leader and manager. As both a consultant and chief development officer, Brian has directed capital campaigns with goals ranging from $2 m...
Elise Madrick Townsend - Academic Director; Senior Program Administrator
A thirty-five year resource development professional and strategic planning consultant to the nonprofit sector, Leo has managed and directed more than 300 capital campaigns and conducted more than 4,000 one-on-one major gift solicitations and sales presentations. During the past 15 years, Latz &...
Senior Associate Vice President and Campaign Manager, Office of Alumni Relations and Development Evanston, Illinois Associate Vice President and Campaign Manager, Office of Alumni Relations and Development Evanston, IL Associate Vice President, Schools & Programs; Office of Alumni Relations...
Because of COVID-19, many providers are cancelling or postponing in-person programs or providing online participation options.
We are happy to help you find a suitable online alternative.