Who should attend
This program is recommended for anyone working in a supervisory or managerial position in a retail company and is seeking to analyze the company’s current operations with the aim to improve further
About the course
When people go into any retail outlet there are many factors that go into their decision on whether the buy a particular item or whether they decide to go to a competitor’s mind are price, customer service, appearance of the store and how easy it is to find a particular item.
When the customer evaluates all these aspects of the store they usually relate each aspect to management, how hard the employees work, or even the skills of the employees. One thing they do not associate these characteristics with is the logistical system that is in place that allows these characteristics to be excellent or below par. It may be hard to imagine how logistics can have such a large role in these characteristics of the store, but when one thinks about it they clearly have a tremendous ole in every last one of them.
At the end of the course participants will be able to:
- Apply selected principles and theory of the retail business supply chain to effectively manage logistics in retail operations.
- Apply multi-faceted roles and practices of logistics and supply chain management to competitive advantage and value creation across a number of retail, service and service logistics oriented industries.
- Interact and communicate effectively in team settings to solve problems in retail logistics operations.
- Critically analyze retail logistics issues and identify workable solutions to logistics and supply chain problems.
Retail Logistics: challenges and changes
- The logistics task
- Retail logistics and supply-chain transformation
- Supply-chain management in retail
- Buyer – seller relationships in the supply-chain
- Quick response and efficient customer response
- The Product Life Cycle (PLC) stages
- The role of Logistics Service Providers (LSPs)
Purchasing and Inventory Management
- Negotiation with suppliers
- Stock: an asset or a liability
- The merchandise sequence and control of physical stocks
- Stocks accounting
Retail Management and Accountancy
- The need for Accounting information
- Methods of recording
- Concepts of Accounting
- Specialist forms of Accounting
- Preparation of Final Accounts
Warehouse and Distribution Management
- Warehouse Functions and Procedures
- Distribution Planning Performance
- Warehouse Management Software (WMS) Systems
The Internationalization of the Retail Supply-Chain
- International sourcing
- Differences in distribution cultures across international markets
- International logistics practices
A variety of methodologies will be used during the course that includes:
- (30%) Based on Case Studies
- (30%) Techniques
- (30%) Role Play
- (10%) Concepts
- Pre-test and Post-test
- Variety of Learning Methods
- Case Studies and Self Questionaires
- Group Work
Videos and materials
Read more about Negotiations
Read more about Transportation and Logistics
Because of COVID-19, many providers are cancelling or postponing in-person programs or providing online participation options.
We are happy to help you find a suitable online alternative.