Make sure this course is right for you.
Get unbiased reviews and personalized recommendations.
Who should attend
Although there are no formal education or background requirements, this course is designed for executives who meet the criteria below. While we strongly encourage global participation, please note that all courses are taught in English. Proficiency in written and spoken English is required.
- Years of Experience – Designed for professionals with 5+ years of work experience
- Job Functions – Ideal for professionals who have significant leadership responsibilities, or who have high potential for leadership
- Prerequisites – Intended for individuals who want to improve their leadership abilities
About the course
Leadership is a mindset, a set of behaviors, and a set of actions that can be carried out by individuals at all levels of an organization each and every day. Whether you are leading a group, mentoring an associate, or dealing with clients, all of these situations require leadership skills, and mastering these skills will help you become more effective in your respective role.
This program will introduce you to a variety of analytical frameworks related to leadership and will focus on how to apply those frameworks to analyze and address important leadership challenges. It will also help you to better understand the context within which leaders typically operate, and help make you more conscious of the choices you make as a leader in an organization. To achieve these objectives, this course combines a variety of pedagogical approaches: lectures, discussions, case analysis, short videos, and group exercises. Emphasis is placed on self-reflection and linking the concepts from the program to the participants’ own leadership objectives.
- Perspective – Examine the meaning of leadership from multiple perspectives
- Action – Develop a framework for translating leadership into effective actions
- Organization Dynamics – Learn about power and influence, collaboration, teamwork and networks
Session 1: What does it take to be a leader?
- What is leadership and what is success in a leadership context?
- Transitioning from a management to a leadership mindset
- Core principles for leadership effectiveness
Session 2: Leaders as Influencers and Change Agents
- Moving from vision to action: power, influence, & persuasion
- Developing social capital and trust
- Leading change within organizations
Day 1 Conclusion and Evaluations
Session 3: Leadership in a complex and dynamic world
- The complex world within which leaders operate
- Leadership as a collective endeavor
- Moving from "command and control" to "connect and collaborate"
Session 4: Adaptive and team leadership
- Building and leading effective teams
- Finding balance between autocratic and participative models
- Making empowerment work
Program Conclusion and Evaluations
Nathan Pettit joined New York University Stern School of Business as an Assistant Professor of Management and Organizations in 2011. He teaches the undergraduate core course "Management and Organizations." Professor Pettit's research focuses on the behavioral consequences of experiencing and des...
Videos and materials
Because of COVID-19, many providers are cancelling or postponing in-person programs or providing online participation options.
We are happy to help you find a suitable online alternative.