Coursalytics is an independent platform to find, compare, and book executive courses. Coursalytics is not endorsed by, sponsored by, or otherwise affiliated with John Molson School of Business.Full disclaimer.
Preparing you for a changing world. That’s our business.
Are you ready to develop your leadership stamina, and to build your agility and problem-solving skills in two days? The JMEC’s Leadership Sprint 2-day program will equip you with the tools and confidence to up your game and accelerate your leadership. Before you come, you will complete the Leadership Versatility Index assessment. The results of the assessment will be used throughout the program.
In this session, we will be measuring your leadership capabilities and examining the context in which leadership occurs. We believe that the classroom is a safe environment for experimenting with behaviour that may not be comfortable or natural for participants to exhibit on the job as managers/leaders. It is a place to learn, exchange ideas, and gain understanding of the behavioural basis of leadership: it’s a learning laboratory for leadership.
In addition, we will use small group exercises and cases to illustrate the main point(s) of the material we are covering. Participation in these activities—questions, observations, points of view, asking for and providing behavioral feedback—is important for success in the course and to enhance each participant’s experience.
At the conclusion of this workshop, you will have an action plan for:
- Improving your skills for leadership
- Improving your decision-making capability
- Avoiding derailment
- Increasing and improving your professional network
Length: 2 days
- Leadership Success Factors
- Emotional Intelligence
- Decision-Making and Team Effectiveness
Structure: Classroom sessions
VERY IMPORTANT: Your first course assignment, Leadership Versatility Index, must be completed prior to the start of the course. The assessment is described below in this syllabus. Your results will be confidential and will be shared with you during the course.
Before the program begins you will be asked to complete a leadership assessment. Throughout this two-day program, the results of your individual assessment will be used to help relate the content to your own leadership situation.
Day 1 AM - Leadership Success Factors
- Successful leaders require a heightened sense of self-awareness. This can be developed through the ability to identify their strengths and challenges and understand how to use them in support of their own success and the organization's goals. Participants will reflect on these points individually and in groups, taking into consideration select leadership theories and personal experience.
Day 1 PM – Emotional Intelligence
- Self-awareness plays a large role in understanding emotional intelligence and relationship management. This section will be an exploration of how emotional intelligence contributes to leadership effectiveness. Participants will review the five components of emotional intelligence and explore how to apply these concepts to their current leadership situation.
Day 2 AM – Decision-Making and Team Effectiveness
- Team effectiveness is the cornerstone of all successful organizations. One of the primary characteristics of an effective team is its ability to build and maintain trust. As a leader, how do you handle trust within the organization? Participants will analyze the theory of trust formation and discuss how to build, maintain, and repair trust amongst themselves and their colleagues. In addition, participants will learn about the five dysfunctions of a team, and apply them to their own team.
Day 2 PM – Decision-Making and Team Effectiveness
- Leaders not only need to be aware of the decisions made within their organization, but they also need to be able to recognize how effective those decisions are to the organization's success. Participants will analyze these points as they pertain to their own unique situation.