Leadership Foundations Course
This two-day course gives new and aspiring leaders the foundation to build confidence, productivity and the ability to get things done through other people. We recognize the unique need for organizations to give their frontline and first-time managers a strong base to best impact the framework of long term leadership development and succession planning.
The Leadership Foundations Course is based on our renowned Three-Day Leadership Boot Camp. The program provides your supervisors with a leadership training experience that combines the best techniques of the world's most successful managers with those of the world's most successful military commanders. Your supervisors will walk away with the strategies, motivation and skills to be confident, more effective leaders.
Prior to attending the Leadership Foundations Course, you will receive a copy of The Leader's Compass, 3rd Edition and will be required to complete a first draft of your Leadership Philosophy (Leader's Compass). Please allow some time for completion of all required pre-work.
Personal Leader Profile
- Identifies activities that energize a leader.
- Describes one's most challenging leadership relationships.
- Learn your preferred style and instinctive needs.
- Communicate better with people who are wired differently.
- Describes key issues on how one develops trust.
- Identifies the correct type of feedback needed.
Your Personal Leader's Compass
- Be able to distinguish the difference between leadership and management.
- Learn the importance of defining leadership.
- Understand and learn the ten most important leadership principles.
- Understand the four basic leadership styles.
- Write and publish your Personal Leadership Philosophy.
Communicating as a Leader
- Learn the systems approach to communication.
- Develop a clear understanding of the main causes of communication failures.
- Learn techniques to avoid incomplete feedback.
- Understand the importance of active listening and the brief-back technique.
- Learn effective coaching feedback guidelines.
Allow some time to complete the required readings and exercises from Day 1.
- Understand why motivation is the key to success.
- Learn how to apply Maslow’s Hierarchy of Needs, Herzberg’s Two-Factor Theory, and the Four Emotional Drives.
- Learn why goal setting is essential to creating a motivational climate.
- Learn how to create a positive leadership climate.
- Understand cross-generational motivational needs.
Managing a Leader's Time
- Learn what your time is really worth.
- Understand how to manage your time more effectively.
- Learn the seven steps for maximizing time use.
- Identify and effectively use high-payoff activities.
- Learn how to prioritize your tasks with proactive planning.
- Understand how creating an environment that constructively deals with mistakes and conflict head on is critical to creating a culture of accountability.
- Learn the principles for developing a culture of accountability in yourself and your organization.
Leader as Coach
- Learn the nine characteristics of effective coaches.
- Be able to demonstrate the key behaviors for great coaching.
- Learn how to conduct effective performance coaching.
- Understand the differences between coaching and mentoring.
- Learn the guidelines for gaining productive feedback during coaching.
Who should attend
Ideal for new supervisors and aspiring managers