Comprehensive course analysis
Who should attend
This programme is suitable for senior executives and managers responsible for closing the gap between their organisation’s strategy and the delivery of results.
- CEOs and board members responsible for strategy execution
- Managers of a key area across a company
- Managers of a business unit or part of the management team
- Senior professionals managing projects that cut across different business units
- Executive team members who manage a company.
About the course
Turbulent times create disruption, but they’re also rich in opportunity. As we enter a working world different from anything we’ve seen before, now more than ever, we need outstanding strategy execution. 70% of strategies fail to deliver. Be in the 30% that succeed.
Translate innovative strategy into tangible results As the aftermath of the pandemic shapes a new world, strategy needs to make an impact, fast.
Benefits for you
- Access cutting-edge insights on strategy execution and apply your learnings to your specific business challenges.
- Develop the skills required to lead in a volatile, complex and ambiguous world with a practical understanding of the obstacles and opportunities facing organisations today.
- Hone your communication and leadership skills alongside a diverse peer-group and build the confidence to translate strategy into action
- Improve your ability to lead strategy implementation to build resilience and agility into your organisation.
- Develop a customised execution plan to achieve your strategic objectives.
Benefits for your organisation
Your people will gain:
- The skills to execute your organisation’s strategy and deliver results.
- The capabilities to skilfully navigate obstacles and seize opportunities, enhancing the performance of your organisation.
- Insights into how to strengthen your organisation’s ability to execute strategy.
- A tailored action plan specific to your organisation’s unique context.
- The expertise to provide a swift response to change, giving your organisation a stronger competitive advantage.
Drive performance and deliver a successful strategy
Develop a complete toolkit for driving strategy execution across multiple levels, avoiding pitfalls and seizing opportunities.
What you learn
- Strategy – Shape the positions that will allow you to deliver outstanding results in a fast-changing, competitive market.
- Shared context – Create a set of tightly focused priorities for yourself and your colleagues as you lead strategy execution.
- Organisational dynamics – Identify your network of distributed leaders at multiple levels in your organisation and build a feedback loop, from them to the top tier of your organisation.
- Resource allocation – Make the tough choices on where to deploy - and not deploy - your critical resources.
- Leadership – Cultivate inclusive leadership and emotional engagement to harness all the talents, perspectives and contributions of the people involved in your strategy.
- Commitments – Ensure that your employees can bridge the “knowing-doing” gap to deliver in alignment with your organisation’s strategy.
- Culture – Create a culture of zero tolerance to organisational inertia and freedom from the fear of change.
How you learn
- Start your journey before arriving on campus, by identifying your organisation’s challenges and opportunities.
- Through the ESR strategy execution capability assessment, you will invite 30 of your colleagues to give their perspective on your organisation’s strategy execution strengths and weaknesses. The results are used in your co-consulting sessions during the programme with an experienced strategy execution consultant and a selection of your fellow participants, to help develop a plan to strengthen your execution capability.
- Through a strategy execution profile, understand your natural strengths and contributions to strategy execution, and how to harness the natural strengths and contributions of others to create a high performing execution team.
- Explore where businesses have excelled or failed in strategy execution through inspirational case studies, developing your understanding of how clarifying your strategy and applying simple rules can drive performance.
- Discover leading business-strategy insights from world-class industry practitioners.
- Experience a rich source of knowledge and inspiration from every industry and corner of the world through an exceptionally diverse cohort.
- Throw yourself into practical experiential exercises to bring the challenges, opportunities and mindset required to succeed in a volatile market.
- Pit your wits against your fellow participants in a business simulation to manage and execute your strategy – balancing resource decisions, quality decisions, recruitment decisions and growth targets to build a sustainable successful business.
Your learning experience
Identify and tackle your strategy execution challenges and opportunities and leave with a concrete action plan to implement on your return to work. Learn from internationally acclaimed business strategy experts: Dominic Houlder, David Lewis and Stefano Turconi. Delve into programme content based on more than a decade of research around how successful companies effectively implement strategy. Communicate effectively across multiple cultural and management levels as part of an international peer group of senior executives. * Enrich your learning experience through group discussions, multimedia presentations, case studies and talks from renowned guest speakers.
Adjunct Professor of Strategy and Entrepreneurship MA (Cambridge University), MBA (Stanford Graduate School of Business) Dominic Houlder is an expert on business-to-business and professional services firms. He helps the leaders of major firms to connect with their clients, their colleagues and ...
Dr Freek Vermeulen writes, consults and speaks across the world on topics such as strategies for growth, strategic innovation and making strategy happen. He uses rigorous research to gain insight into how business really works. His work has appeared in highly prestigious academic journals such a...
Research David L. Lewis has written extensively on Henry Ford, Edsel Ford and the Ford Motor Company, and currently is working on a biography of Henry Ford II and a second volume on Ford Motor Company. EDUCATION PhD University of Michigan 1959 MA University of Michigan 1956 MS Boston Univer...
Stefano Turconi focuses on Translational Research and Action Learning in the context of business strategy. He aims to help reconcile academic theory and empirical findings in order to improve strategy execution and enhance business performance. His findings have appeared in publications such as...
Videos and materials
Because of COVID-19, many providers are cancelling or postponing in-person programs or providing online participation options.
We are happy to help you find a suitable online alternative.