Comprehensive course analysis
Who should attend
New managers, managers who have recently changed positions within their organization, or those who wish to brush up on their skill portfolio.
About the course
Build Core Competencies for Managerial Success
This comprehensive program builds a solid foundation in the soft-skill competencies needed for managerial success. Understand yourself as an effective leader of people. Diagnose typical business situations and determine how best to manage them. Engage in practical exercises that focus on your own day-to-day issues, and come away with tools and techniques you can apply immediately back at work.
The program features a self-assessment to help you discover your leadership strengths and their impact in building relationships. Additionally you will work with a small group of your peers, facilitated by a professional Executive Coach. To ensure you are fully embedding your learning in the workplace, you will re-engage with your coach and peer group about one month post-program to share your experiences and develop an ongoing plan of action.
Online program format
This online program is distributed over nine days. The live, facilitator-led sessions are highly interactive, enabling you to network with peers, brainstorm ideas, engage in skill-building activities and receive constructive feedback from a professional executive coach.
Benefits for you
This program helps build strength in these core competency areas:
- Communication and listening
- Team leadership
- Managing conflict and difficult behaviour
- Communicating difficult information
- Trust and fairness
- Decision making
- Managing change
- Motivating others: improving your ability to see situations through the eyes of your people, thinking creatively about how to motivate employees
- Communication: keys to effective communication, applied communication skills practice
- Dealing with difficult people: managing your stories and reactions to difficult people by using clear communication tools that deepen your understanding of the person and the situation
- Managing conflict: using conflict resolution skills and an awareness of your own conflict style preferences to manage conflict effectively
- Negotiation: preparing for negotiations and applied negotiation skills practice
- Trust and teamwork: fostering trust and safety with teams, enhancing group decision making, performance and productivity
- Decision making: avoiding common biases and traps that can shape the decisions you and others make, using numbers to make smarter decisions
- Power and influence: skills and strategies for influencing people’s behaviours in order to obtain desired outcomes
- Managing change: change and transition strategies to lead change for yourself and others
- Self-assessment to help you discover your leadership strengths
- Coaching sessions with a small group of your peers and a professional Executive Coach during and after the program
David R. Hannah is an Associate Professor of Management at the Beedie School of Business at Simon Fraser University, and an Associate Editor of the Journal of Management Inquiry. He received his Ph.D. from the University of Texas at Austin. He is a Past President of the Western Academy of Manag...
Erica Groschler is an Adjunct faculty member at the Sauder School of Business. She runs her own consulting business, TPS Consulting. Her practice focuses on organizational design, leadership, team development, change and organizational culture. Her clients have included organizations in industrie...
Videos and materials
Read more about Negotiations
Because of COVID-19, many providers are cancelling or postponing in-person programs or providing online participation options.
We are happy to help you find a suitable online alternative.