Make sure this course is right for you.
Get unbiased reviews and personalized recommendations.
Who should attend
New managers, managers who have recently changed positions within their organization, or those who wish to brush up on their skill portfolio.
About the course
Build Core Competencies for Managerial Success
This comprehensive program builds a solid foundation in the soft-skill competencies needed for managerial success. Understand yourself as an effective leader of people. Diagnose typical business situations and determine how best to manage them. Engage in practical exercises that focus on your own day-to-day issues, and come away with tools and techniques you can apply immediately back at work.
The content is specifically designed for individuals who have recently assumed a managerial role and wish to make an effective transition to their new position, or for those who want a refresher in the basics. Experienced managers looking to advance their career will benefit from Advanced Management Skills—an exploration of the hard skills required to lead a department or business.
Benefits for you
This program helps build strength in these core competency areas:
- Communication and listening
- Team leadership
- Managing conflict and difficult behaviour
- Communicating difficult information
- Trust and fairness
- Decision making
- Managing change
- Motivation: influencing and motivating people in healthy ways
- Communicating and listening: choosing the right medium for the message, keys to effective listening
- Team leadership: enhancing team decision making, productivity and performance, building positive team relationships
- Managing conflict and difficult behaviour: dealing with problem behaviours, fostering more good and less bad conflict
- Communicating difficult information, building/restoring trust during stressful times
- Trust and fairness: cultivating trust while suspending judgement, enhancing a positive organizational climate
- Effective negotiation: preparing, analyzing and conducting negotiations that meet the needs of all parties
- Making smarter decisions
- Organizational change: diagnosing the impact of change, managing resistance
This program includes a project that allows you to apply what you've learned to a real-life situation.
David R. Hannah is an Associate Professor of Management at the Beedie School of Business at Simon Fraser University, and an Associate Editor of the Journal of Management Inquiry. He received his Ph.D. from the University of Texas at Austin. He is a Past President of the Western Academy of Manag...
Erica Groschler is an Adjunct faculty member at the Sauder School of Business. She runs her own consulting business, TPS Consulting. Her practice focuses on organizational design, leadership, team development, change and organizational culture. Her clients have included organizations in industrie...
Videos and materials
Because of COVID-19, many providers are cancelling or postponing in-person programs or providing online participation options.
We are happy to help you find a suitable online alternative.