Essential Management Skills
Coursalytics is an independent platform to find, compare, and book executive courses. Coursalytics is not endorsed by, sponsored by, or otherwise affiliated with Sauder School of Business.Full disclaimer.
Build Core Competencies for Managerial Success
This comprehensive five-day program provides a new perspective on contemporary management issues and develops the key competencies needed for managerial success today. You’ll engage in practical exercises that focus on your own day-to-day issues, and come away with tools and techniques you can apply back in the workplace.
The content is specifically designed to help individuals who have recently assumed a managerial role and who wish to make an effective transition to their new position.
What you will learn
This course helps build strength in these core competency areas:
- Communication and listening
- Team leadership
- Managing conflict and difficult behaviour
- Communicating difficult information
- Trust and fairness
- Decision making
- Managing change
- Motivation: influencing and motivating people in healthy ways
- Communicating and listening: choosing the right medium for the message, keys to effective listening
- Team leadership: enhancing team decision making, productivity and performance, building positive team relationships
- Managing conflict and difficult behaviour: dealing with problem behaviours, fostering more good and less bad conflict
- Communicating difficult information, building/restoring trust during stressful times
- Trust and fairness: cultivating trust while suspending judgement, enhancing a positive organizational climate
- Effective negotiation: preparing, analyzing and conducting negotiations that meet the needs of all parties
- Making smarter decisions
- Organizational change: diagnosing the impact of change, managing resistance
This program includes a project that allows you to apply what you've learned to a real-life situation.
Who should attend
New managers, managers who have recently changed positions within their organization, or those who wish to brush up on their skill portfolio.