Essential Management Skills
Build Core Competencies for Managerial Success
Course Level: Fundamental
This comprehensive five-day program provides a new perspective on contemporary management issues and develops the key competencies needed for managerial success today. You’ll engage in practical exercises that focus on your own day-to-day issues, and come away with tools and techniques you can apply back in the workplace.
The content is specifically designed to help individuals who have recently assumed a managerial role and who wish to make an effective transition to their new position.
This course helps build strength in these core competency areas:
- Emotional intelligence and motivation
- Communication and listening
- Team leadership
- Managing conflict and difficult behaviour
- Communicating difficult information
- Trust and fairness
- Decision making
- Managing change
- Emotional intelligence and motivation: influencing and motivating people in healthy ways
- Communicating and listening: choosing the right medium for the message, keys to effective listening
- Team leadership: enhancing team decision making, productivity and performance, building positive team relationships
- Managing conflict and difficult behaviour: dealing with problem behaviours, fostering more good and less bad conflict
- Communicating difficult information, building/restoring trust during stressful times
- Trust and fairness: cultivating trust while suspending judgement, enhancing a positive organizational climate
- Effective negotiations: preparing, analyzing and conducting negotiations that meet the needs of all parties
- Making smarter decisions
- Organizational change: diagnosing the impact of change, managing resistance
This course includes a project that allows you to apply what you've learned to a real-life situation.
Who should attend
New managers, managers who have recently changed positions within their organization, or those who wish to brush up on their skill portfolio.