Who should attend
- Middle, upper and senior-level executives of nonprofit organizations
- Leaders who must motivate and energize others in an organizational setting.
About the course
People-Focused Strategy & Alignment
Guided by our expert faculty, you and your fellow nonprofit executives will be challenged to examine your personal values, and explore how to understand emotional intelligence and the role it plays in having difficult yet effective conversations.
You'll learn how to develop and align your organization with a people-focused strategy, how to inspire others to grow professionally, in challenging times and how to prepare the organization for the inevitability of transition in both full-time and volunteer leadership. Leave equipped to make an even more positive impact on the people you lead and serve your organization's ability to fulfill its mission.
- Think strategically about the people resources of your organization
- Learn to communicate your values to all stakeholders
- Understand the importance of a leadership succession plan for the paid and volunteer leaders of your organization
Seeking to Understand: The Leadership Essentials for Developing High-Performers
Leadership practices and access to knowledge greatly influence workplace performance and success. High performance is dependent on clarity and trust in the leader’s vision. It is the leader’s job to foster trust, manage expectations, make the mission meaningful and invite the employees in to the conversation. Empowered performers increase ownership, in turn, enhancing performance.
- Discuss your own organizational and leadership barriers to high performance
- Explore the common leadership practices which will inspire confidence
- Analyze your role in “knowledge accessibility” within your organization
- Learn how to ensure that performance is employee-driven and employee-owned
- Ask clarifying questions about your own team: who has the “decision rights?” Who does the “heavy lifting?”
- Define and plan your “psychological contract of work”
Influence without Authority
- Explore the ethical implications of influence
- Develop new approaches to influencing others
- Apply concepts to current influence initiatives
Engaged: The Art & Science of Sustaining Motivation
- Gain keen insight into how to motivate people to do their best and keep their heads, hearts and hands engaged once they’ve come onboard
- Learn by leveraging insights from the social and behavioral sciences to offer strategies for how to prevent demotivating talent
- Discuss how to drive sustained engagement at every level of the organization
- Know how to transform your organization’s culture into a competitive advantage in the competition for top talent
- Understand what makes confrontations in the work place difficult
- Master strategies for approaching confrontation, instead of avoiding it
- Practice and perfect your style of handling difficult conversations
- Learn to shift perspectives to a learning conversation
Kevin Murnane has more than 20 years of experience in Human Resource executive coaching, change management consulting, competency-based training, teaching, marketing, entrepreneurial software start-ups, marketing and business development. He currently consults on projects ranging from executive c...
Loran Nordgren is an Associate Professor of Management and Organizations at the Kellogg School of Management. His research considers the basic psychological processes that guide how we think and act. The overarching goal of his work is to advance psychological theory and to use theory-driven insi...
A scholar, speaker, entrepreneur, and pastor, Dr. Nicholas Pearce (@napphd) serves as an award-winning Clinical Professor of Management & Organizations at Northwestern University's Kellogg School of Management and as the founder and chief executive officer of The Vocati Group, a boutique glob...
Brooke Olson Vuckovic's career has been focused on helping executives define their purpose and presence as leaders; stretching them to become more focused, non-reactive and clear on who they are, where they're going, why they lead, and what the circumstances they face demand of them. Dr. Vuckovi...
Elise Madrick Townsend - Academic Director; Senior Program Administrator
Because of COVID-19, many providers are cancelling or postponing in-person programs or providing online participation options.
We are happy to help you find a suitable online alternative.