Make sure this course is right for you.
Get unbiased reviews and personalized recommendations.
Who should attend
- Middle-, upper- and senior-level executives
- Human resources professionals
- High-potential employees who have (or will soon have) significant responsibility for managing and leading others
- Federal Government managers who have responsibility for motivating employees and fostering their individual growth
About the course
A strategic approach to empowering people
If you have direct or indirect responsibility for the performance of others — whether it’s a small group or a business unit with hundreds of employees — you know it takes more than good leadership skills to develop and motivate staff. Our expert faculty will help you discover how to create and employ people-focused strategies and plans that will ultimately maximize your organization’s bottom-line results.
In a collaborative learning environment, you’ll participate in lively classroom sessions, interactive exercises and focused discussions with subject matter experts as you master the processes and tools required to motivate your team to higher levels of performance. You’ll also receive personalized coaching focused on helping you become a more effective manager and leave with a personal action plan for engaging, energizing and empowering your people.
- Identify strategies to motivate and energize individuals to produce superior bottom-line results
- Assess your leadership capabilities, preferences and approach to identify areas of strength and opportunity
- Increase your personal effectiveness as a manager of people through experiential learning focused on practical application
- Engage in small group discussion with a professional coach and develop a personal action plan you can implement immediately
The Energizing Leader
- Move beyond definitions and learn how to perform like an emotionally intelligent leader, build presence and create strategies for action
- Improve your ability to communicate expectations while deepening employee commitment
- Understand how to leverage your strengths and the talents of others to foster results
Strategies for Energizing Individuals and Teams
- Identify the multi-faceted forces that contribute to the success or failure of individual employees and effective methods to manage them
- Learn essential methods for driving strategic implementation
- Explore the importance of alignment among organizational strategy, culture and leadership to propel performance
- Acquire core coaching skills for grooming others for leadership and practice them with peers in class
- One evening during the program, you can choose to join a faculty-facilitated small group coaching session to address your specific people-related challenges and opportunities. This is a chance to draw on the wisdom and experiences of expert faculty members and other seasoned professionals in an intimate, highly personalized setting.
Karen Cates has been teaching at the Kellogg School of Management at Northwestern University since 1994. For nine years, she taught Negotiations, Human Resource Management, and Organization Behavior courses to MBA and Executive MBA students. As a lecturer in executive programs over the past 15 ye...
Brenda Ellington Booth joined Kellogg in 1999 as an Assistant Professor of Management and Organizations and Associate Academic Director of Executive Programs. In 2007, she created the role of Academic Director of Kellogg Leadership Coaching Programs. In 2009 she was promoted to Clinical Professor...
Professor Dewar received his MS and PhD from the University of Wisconsin (Madison) in Sociology. He is a member of the American Academy of Management and has served on the editorial board of the Academy of Management Journal and the Administrative Science Quarterly. From 1980 to 1988, Professor D...
Gail Berger is an Assistant Professor of Instruction at the McCormick School of Engineering and Assistant Professor of Executive Education (Courtesy) at the Kellogg School of Management. She brings academic and professional experience in the areas of conflict resolution, leadership development, s...
Videos and materials
Because of COVID-19, many providers are cancelling or postponing in-person programs or providing online participation options.
We are happy to help you find a suitable online alternative.