This course has no confirmed dates in the future. Subscribe to be notified when it is offered.
About the course
Heat exchangers are important and expensive items of equipment that are used in a wide variety of industries. A better understanding of the basic principles of heat transfer and fluid flow and their application to the design and operation of shell and tube heat exchangers as well as plate heat exchangers, air cooled exchangers and other specialty heat exchangers that you gain from this course will enable you to improve their effectiveness and extend their life.
The course provides in depth presentation of the main types of industrial heat exchangers, their key features and aspects, and provides practical guidelines for selecting the appropriate type for specific applications.
You will better understand how to use the applicable API, TEMA and ASME codes, standards and recommended practices. Discussions cover fabrication, materials of construction and costs of tubular units; condensers and reboilers; effect and mitigation of fouling; and causes and prevention of exchanger tubes vibration and damage.
The course include practical worked examples to reinforce the key learning.
Upon successful completion of this course, the delegates will be able to:
- Highlight the pivotal function and significance of heat exchangers in cost-effective plant operations
- Provide a clear understanding of the fundamentals of heat transfer and hydraulics and fluid flow and their application in the thermal design of heat exchangers.
- Provide methodologies for the mechanical design of heat exchangers in accordance with industry codes, standards and best practices, specifically ASME BPVC Section VIII, TEMA, and API 660, 661, and 662.
- Make delegates aware of cost-effective technologies and best practices for improving performance of heat exchangers
Heat Transfer Terminology
- Importance of Heat Transfer
- Heat & Temperature
- Specific Heat
- Heat Sources
### Day 2
Heat Transfer Terminology (cont’d)
- Heat Capacity
- Thermal Equilibrium
- Overall Heat Transfer Coefficient
Heat Exchangers Classifications
- Heat Transfer in Heat Exchangers
- Types of Flow through Heat Exchangers
- Counter Flow Type
- Parallel Flow Type
### Day 4
Heat Exchangers Classifications (cont’d)
- Cross Flow Type
- Cross Counter Flow Type
- Categories of Heat Exchangers
Shell & Tube Heat Exchangers Construction & Performance
- Fluid Routing Through Shell/Tube Heat Exchangers
- Factors that affect Heat Transfer
- Strategic for Optimizing Heat Exchangers Performance
## Course Methodology
A variety of methodologies will be used during the course that includes:
- (30%) Based on Case Studies
- (30%) Techniques
- (30%) Role Play
- (10%) Concepts
- Pre-test and Post-test
- Variety of Learning Methods
- Case Studies and Self Questionaires
- Group Work
Who should attend
This course is designed for engineers and highly qualified technicians entering the design, fabrication, inspection, operation and maintenance, plant engineers requiring background on code compliance, plant owners, fabricators and suppliers wishing to extend their knowledge to induce a supplementary understanding of design, fabrication and installation of shell-and-tube heat exchangers.