Who should attend
This program is for all senior executives, policy makers, lecturers and consultants from emerging economies who are involved in CSR management or are motivated to learn about and apply CSR practices.
About the course
Contributing to economic and social development
The Corporate Social Responsibility program mainly targets participants from non-European countries and/or NGOs who are active in these countries.
In a globalized world, companies are increasingly confronted with ethical norms and values that differ across countries. This provides a challenge to them, as differing moral standards come with differing expectations on the economic, social and environmental responsibility that companies have to assume. In the industrialized societies of today, companies are expected by their stakeholders – such as customers, suppliers, employees, the public, and the media – to do more than simply following the law. In developing countries, where legal standards typically are weak, the question on basic responsibilities, such as protecting human rights of workers or paying living salaries, arise.
This demand for more corporate responsibility is aggravated by the unprecedented challenges of the 21st century such as climate change, demographic change, resource scarcity, and urbanization. Companies are not only expected to make a contribution to the solution of these problems for the sake of society, they will simply have to do so for their own sake in order to stay competitive in the long run. In this course we study this interplay between business and society in a globalized world and explore how companies can meet stakeholder expectations in a manner that balances social, environmental and economic goals.
Reasons to follow Corporate Social Responsibility
- Understand the debate on CSR and gain management knowledge on this concept
- Learn how to strategize for CSR, responding to issues such as climate change and circularity
- Learn how to engage with your stakeholders and to apply CSR tools and practices
At the end of the course you
- ill understand the role of business in society and the debate on CSR
- Will have management knowledge about developing and implementing CSR practices and tools in an organization
- Can apply the new knowledge to analyze an organization’s CSR strategy and develop appropriate recommendations on how to improve and strengthen this strategy
- Can communicate effectively about the need for a CSR strategy and its implications to different stakeholders
Topics included in the program are:
- The role of business in society
- The concept of CSR
- Stakeholder management
- Multi-stakeholder network
- Developing sustainable supply chains –standards and lead firms
- Ethical dilemmas for managers
- CSR organizing
- CSR reporting
This course involves an interactive learning approach, in which the participant is stimulated to move beyond his/her own country or industry sector and to connect the major changes in the entire world to personal experience as well as business cases.
Learning takes place through:
- Classroom interactive lecturing
- In-class group assignments to reflect on the learning (e.g. mini-case studies, role-plays)
- Guest lectures / field-visits
- Individual assignment, presentation and dicussion
Mirjana Stanisic has extensive experience in donor-funded projects in emerging and countries in transition (Egypt, Romania, Bangladesh, Serbia and Montenegro). She worked previously as a national expert in Serbia and Montenegro and has several years of experience in international cooperation wit...
Paul is Professor of Marketing and the former Dean at the Central European University Business School (CEU). Beside this he is a frequent guest lecturer at several leading universities both in Europe and the US such as Skolkovo and NYU Stern. He currently teaches at Dartmouth's Tuck School of Bus...
Jeroen has been teaching and doing research on the relationships of private business with governments and non-governmental stakeholders, particularly in emerging economies. Jeroen is founder and owner of Fitis, Business & Geopolitics Analysis. Fitis offers teaching and managemetn services to ...
Diederik is Director International Projects and Consultancies and Assistant Professor in Sustainable Development at MSM. He holds a PhD from the Erasmus University (the Netherlands), an MPA from Leiden/Rotterdam University (the Netherlands), an MBA from Bradford/Tilburg University (U.K./ The Neth...
Videos and materials
Because of COVID-19, many providers are cancelling or postponing in-person programs or providing online participation options.
We are happy to help you find a suitable online alternative.