Corporate Governance Program: Developing Exceptional Board Leaders
Coursalytics is an independent platform to find, compare, and book executive courses. Coursalytics is not endorsed by, sponsored by, or otherwise affiliated with Columbia Business School.Full disclaimer.
The Corporate Governance Program equips executives and professionals who currently serve or are interested in serving as non-executive directors on corporate boards with the knowledge required to excel as stewards of shareholders that promote long-term and sustainable value creation.
Drawing on thought leadership from world-renowned experts at Columbia Business School and leading practicing directors, this program integrates academic research with a deep understanding of the emerging issues that boardrooms face.
A unique aspect of the program is that one day is entirely devoted to emerging issues in the field of corporate governance, such as CEO succession plans, shareholder activism, the disruptive impact of technology and cyber risk, and the topic of diversity and inclusion. Program participants interact with round tables of top US directors, moderated by a Columbia Business School faculty expert in an engaging format.
Fast paced, dynamic, and practical, this interactive program is a must-attend for current and aspiring corporate directors and chief executives. Those attending gain valuable insight from fellow board members while also having the opportunity to share their own best practices. Whether a seasoned director or new to the boardroom, participants emerge from this three-day experience with new insights and the sharpened skillset needed to serve effectively.
Board leaders are an undervalued resource in many organizations. Our Corporate Governance Program equips aspiring and existing board members and directors with the insights needed to ensure high performance and value creation in the long and short term.
You will walk away with a better understanding of how to:
- Appreciate value creation via financial statements
- Harness finance to realize the company’s strategy
- Minimize financial reporting risks as a member of the audit committee
- Minimize the threat of litigation for you and your company
- Incentivize the CEO to create long-term sustainable value as a member of the compensation committee
- Anticipate and prepare for the next activist challenge
- Increase the board’s visibility in disruptive technologies and business models
- Plan for the succession of the CEO
- Leverage diversity and inclusion to create long-term value
- Benchmark against best practices of corporate governance
The program features a combination of two classroom days and an engaging, one-day symposium.
Days one and two focus on academic lectures with interactive exercises and case studies involving real-world scenarios. Sample session titles include:
- Assessing Value from Financial Statements
- Directors Guide to Business Strategy
- Serving on the Executive Compensation Committee
- Directors Guide to Accountability and Liability
Day three, the symposium, features panelist discussions with experienced directors focusing on emerging issues in the field of corporate governance. Sample panelist discussion titles include:
- CEO Succession Plans
- What If an Activist Attacks?
- The #MeToo Movement
- Disruptive Technology and Business Models
Who should attend
This program is ideal for:
- Current board members of US public companies
- Board members of foreign corporations
- Board members of private, family-owned, or nonprofit organizations, although the specific regulations of public companies may not apply to such institutions
- Executives looking to develop the skills needed to get on corporate and non-profit boards