Who should attend
Current and future board members, and those who work with them (including executive and non-executive directors).
About the course
Discover what it takes to be a successful board member
The Board Directors' Programme equips you with the knowledge and skills needed to become an effective board member, including:
- Competitive advantage and how to leverage it for sustainable success
- Engaging with diverse stakeholder perspectives
- Developing your capability to influence and manage board relations
- The value of corporate, social and community responsibility.
Informed by Henley's extensive global research, the programme empowers you to diagnose and respond to your board's specific challenges.
- Understand how to add value and determine competitive advantage in your organisation
- Gain the self-confidence to maximise your role on the board
- Develop the skills and knowledge to facilitate others to fulfil both their individual and collective potential
- Develop board members who fully understand their roles and obligations, and who appreciate the value of shared goals
- Generate greater loyalty, retention and productivity throughout your organisation
- Develop an approach that supports your organisation's reputation and is in line with your values and ethics
The programme is delivered both live-online and in person. Both formats allow an engaging and stimulating experience that will give you a unique insight into the boardroom.
Led by Professor Andrew Kakabadse, the programme is based around practitioner-led experiences and research. Over the sessions you will be introduced to a number of high-profile board experts who will share their knowledge and expertise in frank and open conversations. Through confidential group discussion, questioning and sharing your own challenges, you will get an in depth understanding of what really goes on in the boardroom and how you can make the best contribution.
Both learning styles offer a personal approach, with close interaction with the Programme Director. On the live-online version, this is delivered through a virtual one-to-one coaching session.
Participant groups are small, with a maximum of 15-20 people.
Board structure and responsibilities
- The composition, role and dynamics of boards, including director relationships and their effect on the functioning of the board
- Board diversity
- The contribution of sub-committees and non-executive directors
Strategic performance (your own, your board's and your organisation's)
- How to engage fully with stakeholders
- How to influence and effectively manage relations
- When boards become dysfunctional
- Your organisation’s competitive advantage and how to leverage it
- Governance and its role in sustainable success
- The importance of corporate, social and community responsibility and reputation
The programme also covers:
- Role and contribution of investors
- How to get on to a Board
- Moral dilemmas*
Professor Andrew Kakabadse joined Henley Business School in July 2013 after 30 years at Cranfield School of Management, where he finished as Professor of International Management Development and was awarded the honour of Emeritus Professor. Andrew has consulted and lectured in the UK, Europe, ...
Current research interests include corporate firm strategic behaviour; institutional, corporate and citizen stakeholder relations; governance effects on policy innovation (including E.U.); global governance agendas; public and private board leadership disciplines; top team dynamics; ethics and C....
Videos and materials
Because of COVID-19, many providers are cancelling or postponing in-person programs or providing online participation options.
We are happy to help you find a suitable online alternative.