Make sure this course is right for you.
Get unbiased reviews and personalized recommendations.
Who should attend
Front-line supervisors, team leaders and middle managers charged with responsibility for maintaining a healthy and productive workplace.
About the course
Explore ways to make conflict management a core element of organizational strategy through the adoption of conflict resolution structures and processes including third-party roles. Prevent conflicts when possible, and resolve them in a fair and considerate manner when they do occur. Practice techniques for managing conflict on personal and team levels, and leave with an action plan for applying a conflict resolution process in your organization.
This program includes techniques for managing conflicts between managers and workers, as well as between co-workers. It does not cover legal, contractual or societal conflicts.
- Adapt your conflict response style to particular situations
- Respond more effectively to the emotional content of conflict
- Develop collaborative and communication skills to better help avoid and resolve conflicts
- Frame and set boundaries around conflict
- Mobilize third-party techniques to help others resolve conflicts
- Design and implement team-based conflict management and employee advocacy systems
- Sources and types of conflict
- Alternative ways of responding to conflict: aggressive, assertive and problem-solving responses--how do you tend to respond?
- Managing conflict resolution: surfacing inexplicit conflict so it can be treated, developing and facilitating an effective conflict resolution process
- Communication: obstacles to communication, using collaborative language, listening with empathy, speaking assertively
- Making conflict resolution a strategic organizational objective
- Making conflict OK: avoiding reactance, learning from conflict, reducing the corrosive impact of conflict while fostering its creative potential
You will develop personal and team conflict profiles, and design a plan for better managing conflict at both levels. You’ll also apply conflict resolution practices to your own work situation.
Dr. Thomas R. Knight has over 30 years' experience as an educator, consultant and facilitator in a variety of areas of managerial and leadership practice. His areas of particular expertise include labour-management relations, negotiations, conflict resolution, leading change and transitions and a...
Videos and materials
Because of COVID-19, many providers are cancelling or postponing in-person programs or providing online participation options.
We are happy to help you find a suitable online alternative.