Who should attend
This programme is designed for executives who currently run a business or have profit-and-loss responsibility for a geographical area, and seek to improve their short- and long-term business performance. It is also for executives or teams who need to acquire skills quickly in strategic thinking, analysis and development.
In addition, board members, company directors, strategic planners, investment bankers, strategy or technology consultants and financial analysts who need an understanding of, or an update on, competitive and industry dynamics will benefit greatly from the programme.
About the course
All too often, in the daily pressure of achieving short-term financial results, managers lose sight of long-term goals, especially in today’s challenging economic climate. The key to ensuring that companies remain on track to reach these goals is the existence of a clear and focused business strategy.
Competitive Strategy is an intensive three-day programme that will equip you with practical knowledge, along with new skills and tools, to turn strategic ideas into actions for your business. By examining the best practices of some of the world’s most successful companies, you will learn to identify the important elements of winning strategies.
Through lectures, discussions and case studies, you will develop answers to the following questions.
- Which industries and markets should I enter?
- Which products should I invest in and which segments should I target?
- Which advantages should I develop or build on?
- How can I create value for customers in a better way than competitors?
- Should I change our supply chain strategy?
- How will my strategic decisions impact shareholder value?
How you benefit
- Improve strategic thinking with state of the art models and tools
- Sharpen competitive insight and skills to achieve profitable growth for your business
- Apply practical tools to execute strategies.
The Competitive Strategy programme aims to quickly and effectively sharpen participants’ competitive strategic skills as managers. Using case studies developed at INSEAD, participants identify the key analytical strategies needed to achieve long-term business success.
Participants learn the latest strategic concepts and tools, seek to change the way they manage by blending rigorous strategic logic with a ‘view from the trenches’, and network with a diverse and dynamic group of international peers. They learn to do the following.
Predicting the profitability and profit pools of industries, supply chains and eco-systems
- What is the profit outlook of an existing market or new opportunity?
- How can you diagnose the profit opportunities along the supply chain?
- How do convergence and dynamics in eco-systems affect the profitability of your market?
Creating unique resources and capabilities
- How can businesses identify or create unique resources and capabilities?
- When can latecomers successfully challenge seemingly unbeatable competitors?
- When is cooperation with other firms rather than competition desirable?
Creating customer value
- How many strategies exist for creating customer value?
- What does it take to sustain these strategies?
- What are the business implications of each strategy?
Competitive strategy and disruption
- How does technology and business model disruption affect your business model?
- How can you respond to disruptors?
- How can you disrupt and win?
Competing in markets with platform and winner-takes-all dynamics
- How do eco-systems and platforms change the key success factors of a market?
- What does it take to get critical mass and win in such markets?
- What are the strategy options when you fall behind in markets with platforms dynamics?
Capturing customer value
- How can you discover the prices your customer groups are willing to pay?
- What creative pricing schemes exist?
- When should you offer the same price to all customers rather a set of different prices?
Karel Cool is a Professor of Strategic Management and the BP Chaired Professor of European Competitiveness at INSEAD. His research, teaching, and consulting focus on problems of industry dynamics and competitive strategy (e.g., competitive positioning; assessment of profit opportunities in market...
Videos and materials
Because of COVID-19, many providers are cancelling or postponing in-person programs or providing online participation options.
We are happy to help you find a suitable online alternative.