Who should attend
Those looking to enter the human resources field, including early-career professionals and individuals who want to transition from other job roles into this field.
About the course
From startups to corporate giants, the challenge of attracting, hiring and retaining great employees remains a constant. Skilled human resources professionals play an important role in tackling this challenge and are in high demand today. Entry-level roles such as HR specialist, recruiting coordinator and payroll analyst have become a pathway to a thriving career in just about any industry.
In this certificate program, you’ll learn the foundational competencies required to succeed as an HR professional. We’ll explore the functional areas connected with this role: operations, recruiting, compensation and benefits, training, employee retention and morale, performance management, payroll, and compliance with all applicable employment policies and regulations. Acquire the range of knowledge and skills needed to break into this dynamic field.
What you'll learn
- The scope of an HR professional’s responsibilities and how to succeed as part of an HR team
- Human resources information systems (HRIS) and simple data analysis tools for HR reporting and decision making
- How to ensure compliance with organizational policies and regulations regarding sensitive issues
- Ways to foster workplace ethics and advance diversity and inclusion goals
- How HR functional areas work and how to apply your HR skills to common problems in each area
Get hands-on experience
- Practice what you’ve learned in group-based simulations of various HR cases and scenarios
- Do data analysis using spreadsheets and practice data-based reporting
- Create a project plan that includes communication strategies and measures of success
Ashley Smith is vice president of People Strategy and leads Human Resources, Learning and Development, and Recruiting at Vera Whole Health. Core to her role is building and developing a clinical care team with the right fit for both Vera and the customer’s organizational culture. Smith holds mor...
Ranodda DeChambeau has worked in the training and development field for more than 30 years and is currently an internal organizational development consultant at Puget Sound Energy. Over her career, her responsibilities have included leadership and employee development, onboarding programs and tra...
Patricia Bravo is a consultant, speaker and author who advises clients on effective leadership. With an emphasis on empathetic leadership, she draws on more than 20 years of experience in talent management to accelerate client capability through her company Bravo For You. She teaches undergraduat...
Guadalupe Petrone is a human resources professional with extensive experience providing leadership, strategic direction and counsel to senior management in Fortune 500 companies. She's been instrumental in streamlining processes, enhancing productivity and implementing technology solutions. She i...
Sarah Bowles is the director of human resources for Orion Industries, a non-profit social enterprise based in Washington state that believes everyone should have an opportunity to work. Sarah leads all elements of HR including talent acquisition, organizational development, health and welfare, co...
Videos and materials
Because of COVID-19, many providers are cancelling or postponing in-person programs or providing online participation options.
We are happy to help you find a suitable online alternative.