Comprehensive course analysis
Who should attend
Participants in Business Essentials for Executives may include:
- Executives seeking to develop wider general management skills outside their traditional area of expertise
- Managers and technical leaders who have been promoted to a role with significant responsibility
- Executives who build and lead multi-functional teams
- HR professionals who need to build on their business acumen and develop an enterprise mindset
- Managers of family-run businesses
- Entrepreneurs who need to extend their core business knowledge
About the course
For executives who have moved into general management or taken on greater leadership responsibility in their current role, Business Essentials for Executives program will help develop the skills needed to make key business decisions with confidence and position their company for long-term success.
Core curriculum covers traditional management disciplines with an emphasis on analytical rigor, including marketing, operations, accounting, finance, strategy, negotiations, and leadership. This essential knowledge is particularly beneficial for executives with a non-business background and those who have extensive experience within one functional area. Personal assessments, daily integration sessions, and a webinar after the program is over ensure that learning applies directly to each participant’s current leadership and business challenges.
Program Highlights & Benefits
In Business Essentials for Executives, you will:
- Identify your personal negotiating style and learn how to adapt it
- Acquire business acumen to interpret financial statements and use them for decision-making
- Gain insight into how to assess current and future strategic initiatives
- Benefit from a webinar after the program is over to integrate the learning
Experience & Impact
Business Essentials for Executives focuses on the core concepts that drive every business in every industry using a mix of interactive lectures, case studies, simulations, self-assessments, and group discussions. Drawing on the expertise of Wharton’s world-renowned faculty and its 20+ research centers, such as the Wharton Center for Leadership and Change Management, it will help you influence and interact more effectively across your organization. You will improve your ability to make cross-functional decisions that benefit you, your team, and your organization.
With a focus on immediate applicability, you will begin to address key challenges using the tools and methods taught in the program. In addition, you will become part of a powerful learning community comprised of a diverse group of fellow participants; their wide range of industries, backgrounds, experiences, and geographies provide a rich source of insights and networking.
This program will give you insight into:
- Leadership and decision making
- Talent management
- Negotiation and persuasion
- Managing across organizational boundaries
- Personal negotiating styles and how to adapt them
- Customer decision making and how to position your product or service
- The importance of building and sustaining operational excellence
- Assessing current and future strategic initiatives
- Interpreting financial statements and using them for decision making
- How and when to scale your business unit or organization
Business Essentials for Executives also includes a webinar after the program is over to help participants integrate learnings. Led by Wharton professor and academic director Gad Allon, it stresses accountability and focuses on setting and working toward specific, concrete goals.
Professor Jagmohan S. Raju is the Joseph J. Aresty Professor and Director of the WhartonIndian School of Business Program. He serves as the Vice Dean of the Wharton Executive Education program. Professor Raju is internationally known for his research on pricing strategies, coupon programs, managi...
Education PhD, University of California at Berkeley, 2001; MA, University of California at Berkeley, 2001; BA, University of California at San Diego, 1992 Academic Positions Held Wharton: 2004present. Previous appointments: Duke University, Fuqua School of Business; University of California at ...
Nicolaj Siggelkow is the David M. Knott Professor at the Wharton School, University of Pennsylvania. He is a CoDirector of the Mack Institute for Innovation Management at Wharton. He studied Economics at Stanford University and earned an M.A. in Economics from Harvard University. He received a Ph...
Matthew Bidwell's research examines new patterns in work and employment, focusing in particular the causes and effects of more shortterm, market oriented employment relationships. He has conducted detailed research on the contracting workforce in information technology, publishing papers on how t...
Gad Allon is a Professor of managerial economics, decision science, and operations management at the Kellogg School of Management at Northwestern University. He received his PhD in Management Science from Columbia Business School in New York and holds a Bachelor and a Master degree from the Israe...
Professor Armstrong’s research focuses issues related to corporate governance, debt and executive compensation contracting, corporate valuation, and cost of capital. Professor Armstrong serves on the editorial boards of the Journal of Accounting and Economics, Journal of Accounting Research, and ...
Videos and materials
Read more about Business Analytics
Read more about Business Communication
Read more about Human Capital Management
Because of COVID-19, many providers are cancelling or postponing in-person programs or providing online participation options.
We are happy to help you find a suitable online alternative.