Wharton Finance for Executives
Coursalytics is an independent platform to find, compare, and book executive courses. Coursalytics is not endorsed by, sponsored by, or otherwise affiliated with Wharton School of Business.Full disclaimer.
With financial factors of risk and value underpinning every business decision today, the days of finance operating as a stand-alone corporate function are long gone. Yet senior-level executives from non-finance areas such as legal, operations, engineering, and sales and marketing often lack the requisite finance skills to identify and effectively communicate the financial implications of their strategic initiatives. Wharton Finance for Executives fills this need — providing participants with highly relevant, actionable, and practical tools to understand the financial implications of their decisions, create sustained value for their company, and be able to communicate the rationale for their decisions to finance colleagues. Participants leave the five-day program with a solid understanding of corporate finance and its role as a critical business skillset.
Wharton Finance for Executives Program Highlights & Benefits
- Master integral financial analysis and evaluation tools and apply them to your business
- Determine which operating decisions will drive the greatest value
- Anticipate how decisions affect financial performance and create value
- Become a more effective and persuasive communicator when dealing with corporate finance decision makers within your organization
Experience & Impact
Putting corporate finance at the heart of decision making is mission critical today, and not just in the C-suite. Senior-level executives in every industry face pressure to show the financial return and value of their initiatives, including the upside opportunity and downside risk of every decision. Having a strong foundation in finance and an ability to speak that language is a must in today’s globally competitive market, because errors quickly become magnified and have greater implications for a company’s future.
Wharton Finance for Executives leverages what Wharton is world-renowned for — finance that strikes the right balance between academic rigor and practical application. Wharton faculty, led by finance professor and corporate finance expert Michael Roberts, apply their field-based research and professional experience to teach the latest strategic insights for making more informed and better decisions, and to provide participants with an improved ability to communicate those decisions to financial executives.
Faculty put the course curriculum in a context that is real, immediately applicable, and understandable. You will gain a thorough understanding of financial principles and the ability to apply them in practice. From practical tools to case application, you will apply financial tools and frameworks to real-life case examples. You will leave the program with a new financial acumen that can inform every strategic decision and project you champion within your organization.
Ultimately, the program removes the shroud of mystery that people often have about corporate finance and empowers them to use it to improve their business, show their value to the organization, and further their professional development.
Session topics include:
- Sources of Value and Free Cash Flow
- Cost-Benefit and Discounted Cash Flow Analysis
- Decision Criteria: Net Present Value, Internal Rate of Return, Payback Period
- Risk, the Cost of Capital, and the Hurdle Rate
- Growth through Strategic Mergers and Acquisitions
- Risk Assessment and Sensitivity Analysis in Decision Making
- Returns vs. Value
- Staged Decision Making with Decision Trees
Through highly interactive lectures and up to six breakout sessions, participants will work in small groups to apply financial principles to a variety of business scenarios. Overall, you will gain:
- A keen understanding of how business decisions affect value and are reflected in financial metrics and accounting statements
- Increased confidence to engage with financial executives
- Insight into applying business valuation techniques to assess the value of investment projects, corporate assets, and whole companies for potential acquisition
- The ability to better use financial information in managerial decision making
- Rich opportunities to network with peers and engage in debates on current financial problems with some of the nation’s top finance faculty
Who should attend
Wharton Finance for Executives is designed for a broad range of non-financial leaders whose primary job responsibilities do not include corporate finance, as well as functional finance leaders. It appeals to professionals in every area — general management, operations, marketing, law, and operations as well as management consulting. The ideal participants in this program will already have a basic knowledge and understanding of corporate finance, but are finding that more of their job responsibilities intersect with corporate financial decision makers. These are executives who are rising within an organization and are now finding that having a deeper understanding of the role corporate finance can play in the growth of the company will be invaluable.
Additionally, mid-level to senior executives with a finance background who have not worked in finance recently or those who want to deepen their understanding of corporate finance as it pertains to strategic decision making will also benefit from attending this program.
If you have little to no background in corporate finance, we suggest taking Finance and Accounting for the Non-Financial Manager first to lay the foundation. While it is not a prerequisite to take Finance and Accounting for the Non-Financial Manager, it is ideal for participants in Wharton Finance for Executives to be already familiar with how to use and interpret financial statements.
This program attracts a diverse group of leaders from multiple industries, backgrounds, and geographies who share their biggest challenges with the class. Faculty tailor the program content to address these issues, so participants enjoy a learning experience that truly resonates with them and meets their learning needs.
Participants leave the program with an expanded peer network, plus specific finance tools and frameworks they can use to make a meaningful strategic impact within their companies or organizations.