Becoming an Effective Leader: for Aspiring Leaders
Coursalytics is an independent platform to find, compare, and book executive courses. Coursalytics is not endorsed by, sponsored by, or otherwise affiliated with Cass Business School.Full disclaimer.
Are you an aspiring leader? Enhance your understanding of the complex and contingent nature of leading in an engaging way and develop the skills, knowledge and capabilities which are central to effective leadership with this intensive two-day programme.
Effective leadership is critical to the success of all organisations. Traditional command-and-control leadership styles are becoming less tenable in a complex and digitally connected world. Successful leaders need to be agile, adaptable, have a strong level of self-awareness, and a firm understanding of their impact upon others (especially followers).
Focus and structure
The programme is structured in a way that combines contemporary theoretical insights with a practical and grounded understanding of how to apply the content to the day-to-day work of being an effective leader. Using a variety of techniques including face-to-face teaching, case studies and experiential exercises, the programme is delivered over two days. The first day focusses on leading oneself insofar as it looks at self-awareness, individual leadership predispositions and preferences, dominant behaviours, and personal effectiveness. The second day is primarily concerned with leading others insofar as it looks at leading teams, motivating followers, managing conflict, delegating and influencing others.
- Recognise your preferred leadership style and appreciate how to adapt and modify your behaviour in order to lead effectively
- Develop the ability to select from, and apply, a range of situationally-determined leadership strategies and lead in a context sensitive way
- Demonstrate a heightened awareness of the needs, capabilities and expectations of followers
- Learn how to delegate effectively, offer positive encouragement, and to meaningfully motivate and engage subordinates
- Enhance your capacity for giving and receiving meaningful, honest and authentic feedback
- Understand and draw upon a repertoire of approaches for handling poor performance and constructively managing conflict
- Increased awareness of team dynamics and how to leverage diversity in group situations
Who should attend
The programme is designed for individuals who have leadership aspirations. It is particularly relevant to professionals, technical staff and administrators who have recently taken on formal responsibility for managing others. Given that the emphasis in leadership development is on interpersonal competence rather than detailed technical knowledge, the programme is suitable for participants from organisations of all sizes and irrespective of industrial sector.