University of California, Davis
Because of COVID-19, many providers are cancelling or postponing in-person programs or providing online participation options.
We are happy to help you find a suitable online alternative.
Who should attend
- Individuals who, at least occasionally, lead teams, groups, or other individuals toward a common goal
- Individuals who lead volunteer efforts
- Individuals who serve as the public face of a team, group, or organization
- Individuals who lead creative collaborations
About the course
Studies have shown over and over that trust is a key contributor to leadership success. Being able to inspire the trust of your team is critical to any leader’s career success.
This program has been designed to introduce you to the topic of leader trustworthiness. Using exercises, videos, and case studies the program will help you to understand:
- Why being trusted is essential to leadership effectiveness
- How your current trust relationships reveal your individual propensities for building specific types of trust (e.g., competence-based trust vs. contractual-based trust)
- How you can demonstrate trustworthiness as a successful leader
- How you may be undermining your own trustworthiness through behavior and communication
The workshop uses Roger Mayer’s well-known model of trustworthiness that is based on the constructs of integrity, competence, and benevolence, as well as the facilitator’s extensive experience researching trustworthiness among business leaders.
Learning Objectives & Program Benefits
Becoming a trusted leader has a number of tangible and immediate benefits:
- Improved creative collaboration and innovation
- Enhanced learning and knowledge generation in teams
- Better group decision making
- Stress reduction for both leaders and followers
In addition, being a trusted leader has a number of less tangible and longer-term benefits, such as enhancing the general reputation of organizations and groups being led and the ability for these groups and organizations to rebound from setbacks.
Research Expertise: Leadership in organizations, perception and management of individual and organizational images, identities and reputations, especially images of legitimacy, trustworthiness and creativity Courses Taught : The Individual & Group Dynamics, Negotiation in Organizations, Busin...