Toby Long is a Professor, the Director of Training at Georgetown's Center for Child and Human Development, and Faculty Director for the Certificate in Early Intervention.
Toby Long, PhD, PT, FAPTA is Professor, Department of Pediatrics, Georgetown University, Director of Professional Development at the Center for Child and Human Development, Director of the Georgetown University Certificate in Early Intervention Program and Director of the Comprehensive System of Personnel Development for the District of Columbia’s early intervention program. She is on faculty of the GU Minors in Education, Inquiry and Justice and Disability Studies. Dr. Long received her physical therapy degree from Boston University, a master’s degree in early childhood special education from George Washington University and a doctoral degree in human development from University of Maryland. Dr. Long collaborates with colleagues on serving infants and toddlers with disabilities and delays using contemporary, evidenced based practices throughout Eastern Europe, Central Asia, the Gulf region, and Asia.
She is on the editorial boards of the Journal of Early Intervention, Physical and Occupational Therapy in Pediatrics, and Infants and Young Children. She is the author of over 60 peer-reviewed publications including The Handbook of Pediatric Physical Therapy, Second Edition. Dr. Long is the recipient of a variety of prestigious awards including, the Lucy Blair Service Award from the American Physical Therapy Association, the Jeanne Fisher Distinguished Mentorship Award from the American Academy of Pediatric Physical Therapists, and the Bud Dehaven Award from the American Academy of Pediatric Physical Therapists. She was named a Catherine Worthingham Fellow by the American Physical Therapy Association in 2009.
- Toby Long, Battaile, Kathleen Toscano. Handbook of Pediatric Physical Therapy, 3rd Ed. Philedelphia, PA: Lippincott, Williams and Wilkins, 2018.
- Long, T.M., Toscano, K.. Handbook of Pediatric Physical Therapy, 2nd Ed.. Philadelphia: Lippincott, Williams and Wilkins, 2002.
- White, S., Long, T., Deubler, D., Kolobe, T., McEwen, I. & Nixon-Cave, K. (Eds.). Leadership Education for Pediatric Physical Therapists. Silver Spring, MD: American Association of University Affiliated Programs, 1996.
- Long, T., Cintas, H.L. Handbook of Pediatric Physical Therapy. Baltimore, MD: Williams and Wilkins, 1995.
- Katz, K.S., Pokorni, J.L. and Long, T.M.. Chronically Ill and At Risk Infants: Family Centered Intervention from Hospital to Home. Palo Alto, CA: VORT, 1989.
- Katz, K.S., Pokorni, J.L. and Long, T.M.. Project CIII, Chronically Ill Infant Intervention Project: Continuity in Intervention from Hospital to Home.. Washington, DC: Georgetown University, 1988.
Articles in Journals
- Jamie M. Holloway, Toby M. Long And Fred Biasini. "Relationships Between Gross Motor Skills And Social Function In Young Boys With Autism Spectrum Disorder." Pediatric Physical Therapy (May 23, 2018): 1. 10.1097/PEP.0000000000000505.
- Jamie M. Holloway, Toby Long And Fred Biasini. "Concurrent Validity Of Two Standardized Measures Of Gross Motor Function In Young Children With Autism Spectrum Disorder." Physical & Occupational Therapy In Pediatrics (April 2, 2018): 1-11. 10.1080/01942638.2018.1432006.
- Zajicek-Farber, M. L., Lotrecchiano, G. R., Long, T. M., & Farber, J. M. "onnections between Family Centered Care and Medical Homes of Children with Neurodevelopmental Disabilities: Experiences of Diverse Families.." Journal of Child and Family Studies, 26, 5 (2017): 1445-1459.
- Uelk, M., and Long, T.. "Home visiting: Supporting families to flourish through quality programs." Georgetown University Center for Child and Human Development (2015)
- Farber, M., Lotrecchiano, G., Long, T., Farber, J. Parental. "Perceptions of Family Centered Care in Medical Homes of Children with Neurodevelopmental Disabilities." Maternal and Child Health Journal (2015)
- Catalino, T., Chiarello, L., Long, T., & Weaver, P.. "Promoting Professional Development for Physical Therapists in Early Intervention." Infants and Young Children (2015)
- Lotrecchiano, G.R., McDonald, P.L., Lyon, L., Long, T., Zajicek-Farber, M.. "Blended Learning: Strengths, Challenges and Lessons Learned in an Interprofessional Training Program." Maternal and Child Health Journal, 17 (2013): 1725 - 1734.
- Su, X., Long, T., Chen. L., Fang, J.. "Early Intervention for Children with ASD in China: A Family Perspective." Infants and Young Children, 26, 2 (2013): 111-125.
- Long, T., Alotaibi, M., Kennedy, E., Bavishi, S.. "The efficacy of GMFM-88 and 66 to detect changes in gross motor function in preschool age children with cerebral palsy (CP): A literature review.." Disability and Rehabilitation, 36, 8 (2013): 617-627.
- Richards, J., Edwards, K.S., Lackey, M., Wallace, L., Calleson, J., Barber, C., Long, T., Lin, S. and Farel, A.. "Collaborative Learning and Technology Skills Development: Evaluation of an Online Annual Grantee Meeting." Maternal and Child Health Journal, 16 (2012): 1549-1552.
- Rahlin, M., McCloy, C., Henderson, H., Long, T. & Rheault, W.. "Development and content validity of the Therapy Behavior Scale." Infant Behavior and Development, 35 (2012): 452-465.
- Silkwood-Sherer, D., Killian, C., Long, T., Martin, K.. "Hippotherapy-An intervention to habilitate balance deficits in children with movement disorders: A clinical trial." Physical Therapy, 92, 5 (2012): 707-717.
- Carey, H. & Long, T.. "The pediatric physical therapist's role in promoting and measuring participation in children with disabilities." Pediatric Physical Therapy, 24, 2 (2012): 163-170.
- Hickman, R., Wescott, S., Long, T. & Raugh, M.. "Applying contemporary developmental and movement science theories and evidence to early intervention practice." Infants and Young Children, 24, 1 (2010): 29-41.
- Johnson, C. & Long, T.. "Use of diagnosis and prognosis by pediatric physical therapists." Pediatric Physical Therapy, 22 (2010): 392-398.
- Xueyun, S. & Long, T.. "An update review on early childhood special education legislation and implementation in America." Early Childhood Education (Education Science), 1 (2009): 429-430:1\2C,82-87.
GU-TWU Partners UCEDD Proposal September 01, 2017 - September 30, 2018. Agency: Administration for Community Living
Georgetown University Center for Excellence in Developmental Disabilities (GUCEDD) Diversity Fellowship June 01, 2018 - November 30, 2019. Agency: Administration for Community Living
GU-UCEDD Diversity in Early Intervention Fellowship September 01, 2016 - August 31, 2017. Agency: Administration for Community Living
Comprehensive System of Personnel Development December 12, 2012 - December 11, 2017. Agency: DC - Government
GEORGE: Graduate Education Of Related Service Providers at Georgetown and George Washington University October 01, 2017 - December 31, 2022. Agency: Department of Education
LEND STIPENDS August 25, 2010 - June 30, 2011. Agency: Children's Research Institute
Contemporary Practices in Early Intervention: An Interdi August 05, 2013 - September 30, 2015. Agency: DC - Department of Health
Early Childhood Personnel Center January 01, 2017 - February 28, 2019. Agency: Department of Education
Early Childhood Personnel Center Project Staff January 01, 2018 - December 31, 2022. Agency: Department of Education
UCEDD-Early Intervention Diversity Fellow September 01, 2017 - November 29, 2018. Agency: Administration for Community Living
GU-UDCCC Partnership June 01, 2018 - November 30, 2021. Agency: Administration for Community Living
DEL Strong Start DC Early Intervention Conference June 25, 2015 - September 30, 2015. Agency: DC - Government
Leadership Education in Neurodevelopmental July 01, 2004 - June 30, 2012. Agency: Health Resources and Services Administration
Contemporary Practice of Early Intervention July 01, 2008 - December 31, 2011. Agency: Health Resources and Services Administration