Who should attend
This program promotes the development of leaders, senior managers, client-facing professionals and others who want to develop the transformational and charismatic leadership behaviors that will enable them to influence, motivate and inspire those around them to move forward, and help their organizations thrive.
About the course
Transformational and charismatic leadership behaviors are essential if leaders are to thrive in a time of ever-increasing change and relentless competition. Our 2-day program helps participants understand the behaviors involved in transformational and charismatic leadership, and know how to use these behaviors enhance their leadership presence.
A proven structure
Our program design is strongly supported by research showing that we are not born leaders. Transformational and charismatic leadership can be taught.
On the first of this interactive program, you will develop an understanding of the values and behaviors involved in transformational charismatic leadership.
On the second day, you will be introduced to the verbal and non-verbal behaviors inherent in charismatic leadership. You will work in groups to refine nuanced ways of conveying the tenets of charismatic leadership. You will have the opportunity to practice your charismatic leadership, and receive a written feedback report with constructive feedback.
You will leave the program understanding that the very best of leadership is not about being inspirational all the time with all your employees. Instead, the very best of leadership is about moments; creating opportunities to help those around you want to excel, and want to move themselves, their peers and their organization forward.
Most importantly, you will leave knowing what are the smallest things you can do through your leadership that will have a major impact on those around you.
The concepts and tools taught in the program will greatly enhance your leadership skills
- Understand what constitutes transformational and charismatic leadership
- Appreciate the small changes to your leadership that will have the biggest long term impact
- Learn to create a unique leadership identity
- Exchange ideas and experiences with Queen's faculty and fellow participants
- Build better relationships within and outside your organization
- Return to work with proven tools to achieve lasting change in the way teams work together
Enhancing your leadership skills will have a significant impact across your organization
- Help your people to achieve “beyond expectations” (both theirs and your own)
- Help the people you work with perform at their peak
- Create a climate of trust and respect
- Encourage mutual support and open communication
- Develop a high-performance culture in your organization
- Build high-performance expectations into everyday management practices
The program is based on knowledge gained from decades of leadership research and practice, and uses the educational power of multiple teaching tools, including class discussions, exchange of ideas and perspectives with faculty and fellow participants, observational learning, group work, role play simulation and constructive feedback.
DAY 1 - TRANSFORMATIONAL LEADERSHIP
Understand and apply the principles of transformational leadership:
- Understand the differences between the very best and worst of leadership
- Learn the four basics of transformational leadership:
- Developmental and forward-looking
- Understand how this applies to your own leadership
- Learn how to use your understanding of transformational leadership to understand why some leaders do so well, while others
- Enhance your learning through group discussions with a diverse group of peers
DAY 2 - CHARISMATIC LEADERSHIP
Understand and apply the principles of charismatic leadership.
- Understand that each one of us can enact charismatic leadership behaviors
- Learn about the 9 verbal and 3 non-verbal charismatic leadership behaviors
- Understand that the best of charismatic leadership is not about doing all 12 behaviors all the time-the best of leadership is all about moments
- Group-based practice
- Present a charismatic leadership speech with your team
- Receive constructive feedback of your presentation from trained independent raters
Professor of Organizational Behaviour and Borden Chair of Leadership at Smith School of Business Website: julianbarling.com Julian is the author of The Science of Leadership: Lessons From Research for Organizational Leaders, which was published by Oxford University Press (New York) in Janua...
Videos and materials
Read more about Business Communication
Because of COVID-19, many providers are cancelling or postponing in-person programs or providing online participation options.
We are happy to help you find a suitable online alternative.