Comprehensive course analysis
Who should attend
This program promotes the development of leaders, senior managers, client-facing professionals and others who want to develop the transformational and charismatic leadership behaviors that will enable them to influence, motivate and inspire those around them to move forward, and help their organizations thrive.
About the course
Transformational and charismatic leadership behaviours are essential if leaders are to thrive in a time of ever-increasing change and relentless competition. This program helps participants understand the behaviours involved in transformational and charismatic leadership, and to know how to use these behaviours to enhance their leadership presence.
The program begins with developing an understanding of the values and behaviours involved in transformational charismatic leadership. From there, you will be introduced to the verbal and non-verbal behaviours inherent in charismatic leadership. Working in groups, you will refine nuanced ways of conveying the tenets of charismatic leadership. After practicing your newfound leadership skills, you will receive a written report with constructive feedback.
In this program you will:
- Leave with an understanding that the very best of leadership is not about being inspirational all the time with all your employees – it is about creating moments
- Learn to create opportunities to help those around you want to excel, and want to move themselves, their peers and their organization forward
- Understand what are the smallest things you can do through your leadership that will have a major impact on those around you
The concepts and tools taught in the program will greatly enhance your leadership ability and help you:
- Understand what constitutes transformational and charismatic leadership
- Appreciate the small changes to your leadership that will have the biggest long term impact
- Learn to create a unique leadership identity
- Exchange ideas and experiences with Queen's faculty and fellow participants
- Build better relationships within and outside your organization
- Return to work with proven tools to achieve lasting change in the way teams work together
Enhancing your leadership skills will have a significant impact across your organization. It will:
- Help your people to achieve “beyond expectations” (both theirs and your own)
- Help the people you work with perform at their peak
- Create a climate of trust and respect
- Encourage mutual support and open communication
- Develop a high-performance culture in your organization
- Build high-performance expectations into everyday management practices
The program is based on knowledge gained from decades of leadership research and practice, and uses the educational power of multiple teaching tools, including class discussions, exchange of ideas and perspectives with faculty and fellow participants, observational learning, group work, role-play simulation and constructive feedback.
This program focuses on two key areas:
Module 1: Transformational Leadership
- Understand the differences between the very best and worst of leadership
- Learn the four basics of transformational leadership:
- Developmental and forward-looking
- Understand how this applies to your own leadership
- Learn how to use your understanding of transformational leadership to understand why some leaders do so well, while
- others do not
- Enhance your learning through group discussions with a diverse group of peers
Module 2: Charismatic Leadership
- Understand that each one of us can enact charismatic leadership behaviours
- Learn about the nine verbal and three non-verbal charismatic leadership behaviours
- Understand that the best of charismatic leadership is not about doing all 12 behaviours all the time – the best of
- leadership is all about moments
- Group-based practice
- Present a charismatic leadership speech to your team
- Receive constructive feedback on your presentation from trained independent raters
Dynamic Remote Learning
Participate in the program from anywhere. Queen’s Executive Education remote learning programs combine live, dynamic video instruction with breakout sessions, panel discussions, and expert Q&A.
Our learning platform is fully encrypted, allowing you to connect securely from home, office or anywhere in between.
Remote programs are designed to fit within your schedule, allowing you to learn new skills and immediately put them to work.
Professor of Organizational Behaviour and Borden Chair of Leadership at Smith School of Business Website: julianbarling.com Julian is the author of The Science of Leadership: Lessons From Research for Organizational Leaders, which was published by Oxford University Press (New York) in Janua...
Videos and materials
Read more about Business Communication
Because of COVID-19, many providers are cancelling or postponing in-person programs or providing online participation options.
We are happy to help you find a suitable online alternative.