ICTD International Centre for Training and Development
Time Management, Planning, Organizing & Goal Setting
This course has no confirmed dates in the future. Subscribe to be notified when it is offered.
About the course
Do you feel stressed about the number of tasks you need to get done and feel like you can never seem to get on top of things? Has it ever seemed like there aren’t enough hours in the day? In this course we examine what effective time management really means and what each of us has to do to achieve it. We look at the importance of having a clear life vision in order to help us use our time wisely and the specific goals and objectives that will help us actualize this vision. Participants are introduced to a wide range of time management tools and techniques, they are given time to consider which ones are appropriate for their lifestyle and then practice them in a fun and supportive environment. In the final topic of this course participant, prepare their action plan for long term change.
- Define time and its components.
- Identify and manage time wasters.
- Set goals and objectives and prioritize accordingly.
- Apply one or more of the 7 habits of highly effective people.
- Define what stress is, how it is caused and how the body responds to stress.
- Discuss what happens when stress is out of control.
- Analyze the causes of stress accurately and plan to control them.
- Suggest various ways and techniques to lower stress levels.
Definition of Time Management
- Value of Time as a Resource
- Myths about Time Management
Identifying and Managing Time Wasters
- Self-Imposed Time Wasters
- System-Imposed Time Wasters
- Managing Time Wasters: Planning, Organizing, Staffing, Directing, Controlling, Communication and Decision-Making
- Eliminating Bad Habits
- The Attitude Pyramid
Importance of Goal Setting and Planning Management
- Integrating goals, scope, work structure and management planning
- Identifying initial resource requirements
- Identifying risk techniques that affect work assignments, priorities and deadlines
- Communication that responds to: who, what where, when, how, why
- Understanding the importance of quality planning in work assignments
Setting Goals and Priorities
- Difference between a Goal and an Objective
- Setting Goals Effectively
- Developing the Habit of a To Do List
- The Self Management Matrix
- Setting Priorities
Defining Planning & Organizing
- The Key Elements Of The Planning Cycle
- Setting Goals & Objectives
- SMART(ER) Objectives
- Planning & Organizing Exercise
- Types Of Planning Tools
The Key Elements of Organizing
- Using A Gantt Chart
- Prioritizing Workload For Effectiveness & Efficiency
- The Pareto Principle
- Planning & Organizing Exercise
- Improving Personal Organization
- Improving Your Work Environment: Office Layout, Computer & Paperwork
- 'Work Smarter, Not Harder'
- Handling Delegation
- Tips For Work-Life Balance
Setting Priorities and Making Decisions in the Planning Process
- Using planning to ensure task priorities are established
- Planning for time management, scheduling and meeting deadlines
- Integrating the functions into a final work plan
- Improving communications and listening skills
- Planning for delegation responsibility and authority
- Techniques for making good decisions
The Seven Habits of Highly Effective People (by Stephen Covey)
- Be Proactive
- Begin with the End in Mind
- Put First Things First
- Think Win-Win
- Seek First to Understand then to be Understood
- Sharpen the Saw
## Course Methodology
A variety of methodologies will be used during the course that includes:
- (30%) Based on Case Studies
- (30%) Techniques
- (30%) Role Play
- (10%) Concepts
- Pre-test and Post-test
- Variety of Learning Methods
- Case Studies and Self Questionaires
- Group Work
Who should attend
- Those who need to become more effective in time management and planning
- Team Leaders and Supervisors
- Line and functional Managers
- Managers of all levels