This course has no confirmed dates in the future. Subscribe to be notified when it is offered.
About the course
Today’s organizations exist in an increasingly complex and ever-shifting ocean of change. As a result, leaders need to rely more than ever on the intelligence and resourcefulness of their staff. Collaboration has become an essential ingredient for organizational survival and success. But “silo mentality” and knowledge hoarding behaviors are wasting this kind of collective brainpower. And it’s not just corporate profits that suffer when collaboration is low: the workforce loses something too. Individuals lose the opportunity to work in the kind of inclusive environment that energizes teams, releases creativity and makes working together both productive and joyful. As more and more organizations move toward a collaborative culture, a new leadership model is emerging – one that replaces command and control with trust and inclusion. The leader’s new role is to encourage team members to see themselves as valued contributors, to help them build their knowledge base and expand their personal networks, and to motivate them to offer their ideas and perspectives in service of a common goal. Collaborative leaders understand how to create an environment in which people choose to participate and contribute. Inspiring, interactive and energizing, this session will give you the insight and skills to build collaborative relationships within your team and throughout the organization.
Time Allocation - Topics
25% Collaboration and collaborative leadership
- Collaboration: What it is and why it’s so important
- How silos develop and how they destroy collaboration
- Organizational collaboration strategies
- Defining collaborative leadership
- Key elements of collaborative leadership
40% The human side of collaboration
- Why people don't tell what they know and strategies to break through those barriers Designing a collaborative meeting
25% Collaboration with virtual teams
- The challenges of virtual collaboration
- Communication from “lean” to “rich”
- Teleconferencing tips Videoconferencing tips
- The future of collaborative technology
- What’s so great about face-to-face?
- When collaboration is virtual and cross-cultural
10% Building trust
- The foundation of a collaborative culture -- the 5 levels of trust
- Why some lies are good for collaboration and others destroy it
- How our biases lead us to trust (or mistrust) the wrong people
- Leadership tips for building trust
Primary -- LEADERSHIP DEVELOPMENT: Adaptability, Communication, Interpersonal Relations, Judgment, Motivation
Secondary -- PLANNING/ORGANIZING: Problem Identification, Developing Specific Plans, Generate and Obtain Plan Support
Tertiary -- EXECUTING/CONTROLLING/EVALUATING: Use of Authority
Trust the experts
Carol Kinsey Goman
Carol Kinsey Goman, Ph.D., helps executives, managers, entrepreneurs, team leaders, and sales professionals build stronger influence and impact skills. She is a sought-after international speaker who has keynoted at hundreds of business meetings, association conferences, government agencies, and ...