Who should attend
- Experienced payroll professionals who want to stay up-to-date
- Beginning payroll administrators who want to get up-to-speed
- Small business owners
- HR professionals
- Managers and supervisors
- Office managers and other one-stop-shop pay rollers
- You’ll be sitting shoulder to shoulder with other payroll professionals who are facing the same daily problems. Even if payroll is not your full-time responsibility, the risks are just too great to miss this seminar. Its two can’t-miss days of learning and networking.
About the course
In an increasingly competitive, volatile and global marketplace, Risk Management and Corporate Governance are becoming increasingly important, if not essential. The world banking crisis and cases such as Enron emphasise the dangers of failing to manage and control risks. In this programme you will study how to:
- Implement sound Corporate Governance within your organisation
- Identify and measure the Financial Risk facing your organisation
- Develop a Risk Management strategy
- Implement Risk Management techniques to reduce risk and maximise return
- Use and manage Derivatives to manage risk
## Course Objectives
- The latest FLSA requirements – keeping it correct to the letter of the law
- The Wage-Hour Law: from commissions to on-call pay and overtime
- Taxable vs. nontaxable compensation: A close look at the benefits and fringes
- Standard test criteria for employee classification
- Payroll accounting and record-keeping that meets federal and state guidelines
- Managing the payroll process cost- effectively
- Dealing with the challenges of final payments, FMLA and COBRA overlaps and new-hire reporting
## Course Outline
*Employee Classification: What’s What on Who’s Who * The often misunderstood standards of the Categories of Evidence test to determine employee status
- What to do when a retiree returns as a consultant
- Temporary positions, “casual laborers” and “floating laborers”: What are your responsibilities?
- A list of job titles that the IRS normally considers to be contractors
- Appealing a Misclassified Worker Ruling
- Exempt vs. nonexempt according to the FLSA
*Wage Calculations: Are Yours Adding Up? * Time-keeping practices that keep your records air-tight and accurate
- Straight practices for calculating sick pay, vacation pay and retroactive pay
- Calculating overtime: what qualifies as “on the clock”
- How do you deal with the employee who works from home
- What to do with exempt employees who still receive overtime
- Comp-time policies: Are yours within the guidelines? Do exempt employees ever qualify?
- Applying the FMLA to the FLSA: common mistakes
- Is it really okay to dock pay?
- Can you not pay nonexempt employees for training?
Benefits: Tax Only the Taxable
- Beyond a morning cup of coffee: De minimis fringes
- Special Accounting Rule: its uses and restrictions
- Determining the fair market value of employer- provided parking and commuter highway transportation
- Is the company car always excluded from taxable income?
- Cash awards, gift certificates, sports tickets, travel expenses ... exempt or not?
- IRS 10-point checklist for qualified cafeteria plans
- Dealing with FSAs: Use-it-or-lose-it
- IRS red flags – the patterns of abuse in business expenses
- The FMLA and COBRA overlap – keeping it straight
Record-Keeping and Forms
- Making a reconciliation schedule and the information you will need to get started
- Spotting the common errors on a W-2
- A line-by-line look at Form 941 and the timely deposit
- IRS publications and getting online: Going to the source
- Information checklists for W-4s
- Keeping your organization free from late-deposit penalties, civil penalties and failure-to-pay penalties
- How long are you required to keep various documents?
- Answering an IRS notice: What to do if you made a mistake
*Hot Issues for the Payroll Administrator *
- Writing easily understood procedures for the employee manual
- Standardizing your payroll process and 12 great cost-saving efficiency tips
- Outsource the payroll process: finding the right vendor
- Dealing with payroll vendors: processes you should have in place for your security
- E-Payroll: Wave of the future – but is it right for your company?
- Dealing with the “people factor”: gaining cooperation to get your co-workers to cooperate with policy
Videos and materials
Because of COVID-19, many providers are cancelling or postponing in-person programs or providing online participation options.
We are happy to help you find a suitable online alternative.