Make sure this course is right for you.
Get unbiased reviews and personalized recommendations.
Who should attend
Individuals involved in any aspect of sourcing, tendering, selecting, forming, and executing contracts with suppliers of goods and services to the oil and gas industry. Included are project technical roles such as facilities engineers, drilling engineers, project engineers, commissioning engineers, contracts engineers, and planning engineers.
About the course
This course is designed to help companies award the right contracts to the best providers. Contracting involves many roles that must work together to negotiate, document, and ensure a reliable supply of goods and services for capital projects and ongoing operations. Everyone involved in contracting with suppliers and service providers must understand the entire process, the keys to success, and what is required of their role if contracts are to be effective in managing supply risks. Materials and exercises in this course are specifically built around oil and gas industry issues.
At the end of the course participants will be able to:
- Manage project and legal risks with the contracting process
- Successfully manage disputes and contract performance issues
- Know what is required in a successful tender package
- Identify the appropriate contract price strategy to minimize financial risks and contract costs
- Know the difference between cost and price analysis and how to use each technique to evaluate a proposal
- Be appropriate commercial and legal contract terms and conditions
What is a contract?
- The contract as a legal instrument
- The contract as an investment tool
What is the supply chain and how do we manage it?
- Illustration of supply chain management (SCM)
- Benefits of defining SCM
- SCM analysis for opportunities to save money
Developing a best-practice procurement process
- A suggested process for managing contracts from beginning to end
- The role of end-users and the contracts specialist
What is a contracts strategy and how do we develop one?
- Oil industry case studies and examples
- The essential ingredients of a contracts strategy
- The process of developing a contracts strategy
The role of contracts policy and procedures
- The vital relationship between contracts strategy, policy and procedure
- Oil industry examples of contracts policy and procedure
Alternative contracts strategies
- Oil industry examples and case studies
- The role of contract risk assessment
- The importance of contract risk assessment in strategy and contractor selection
- How to carry out a contract risk assessment
Alternative tendering strategies
- Functional versus technical specifications
- Oil industry examples
Different types of contracts
- Strengths and weaknesses of alternative contract types
- How to choose an appropriate contract compensation method
How to prepare contractor selection criteria
- Oil industry examples
- Traditional versus non-traditional selection criteria
How to evaluate tender submissions
- How to ensure best-value selection
- How to avoid common mistakes
Understanding the "small print"
- Getting to grips with contractual language and terms and conditions
How to manage the contract after it has been awarded
- The role of the "kick-off" meeting
- Preventing and resolving disputes
- Managing cost and performance
- How to give contractor feedback
A variety of methodologies will be used during the course that includes:
- (30%) Based on Case Studies
- (30%) Techniques
- (30%) Role Play
- (10%) Concepts
- Pre-test and Post-test
- Variety of Learning Methods
- Case Studies and Self Questionaires
- Group Work
Videos and materials
Because of COVID-19, many providers are cancelling or postponing in-person programs or providing online participation options.
We are happy to help you find a suitable online alternative.