Who should attend
This course is specifically designed for one staff person and one board member to attend together.
About the course
Fundraising success depends on organization-wide efforts from the leadership of the board to the dedication of front-line staff. This course focuses on the role the board plays in fundraising and how to best structure the organization to support this role. Board members and staff will work collaboratively to develop an action plan to improve the culture of philanthropy in your organization, improve board recruitment and training, and ensure the organization has a solid case for support.
As a result of this class, participants will:
- Communicate and demonstrate board and staff responsibilities to the organization
- Understand what needs to be prepared and in place for board members
- Review and adapt tools and strategies to recruit, train, mentor, and redirect board members to support overall fundraising
- Introductions & Expectations
- Definitions: Philanthropy, Development, Fundraising
- The Current Charitable Giving Landscape
The Roles and Responsibilities of the Board * The Top Ten Responsibilities of All Board Members * A Focus on Fundraising & 100% Board Giving
Recruiting an Outstanding Board of Directors
- The Board Skills Chart
- How to Identify and Meet Potential Board Members
- Bylaws Basics – Term Limits & Other Essentials
Board Meetings & Effective Fundraising
- How to Structure a Productive Board Meeting
- The Role of Committees
- Why this Matters for Fundraising
First Day Reflections & Adjourn
Reflections & Review
Fundraising Tools & Techniques – What Board Members Need to Know
- The 14-step Fundraising Cycle
- The Fundraising Plan
- The Fundraising Pyramid
- The Gift Range Chart
- Developing a Prospect List of Individual Donors
- Understanding Fundraising from Foundations
- Understanding Fundraising from the Business Sector
Making the Philanthropic Request
Supporting Board Member Fundraising
- The Board’s Role in Stewardship
- How Can Staff Best Support Board Member Fundraising?
- Board & Staff: Moving Forward & Fundraising Together
Final Reflections & Conclude
Videos and materials
Because of COVID-19, many providers are cancelling or postponing in-person programs or providing online participation options.
We are happy to help you find a suitable online alternative.