Make sure this course is right for you.
Get unbiased reviews and personalized recommendations.
Who should attend
Mid- to high-level project and program managers and directors.
About the course
Create more successes through enhanced project leadership, communication and negotiation skills.
The demands of a project leadership role are unique. You must learn how to serve both the needs of your team members with the needs of the project—not an easy task. Project leadership requires a blend of soft skills, such as communication and motivation, along with the bottom-line capabilities of project management.
This workshop will teach you how to master the project leadership skills that can help you build team commitment and create a more predictable project environment.
How You Will Benefit
- Build high-performance teams that can lead projects to successful implementation
- Keep the team on track through team consensus and conflict resolution
- Minimize communication misunderstandings
- Prevent team “break-ups” by using constructive feedback
- Achieve better results through clear, open and honest communication
- Optimize time, money and resources by putting the right people on the right projects
What You Will Cover
- The ins and outs of communications skills
- Team dynamics: what’s unique about project teams
- Conflict management…successful team behaviors
- How to delegate and run effective meetings
- Communicating during project implementation and closure: conveying appreciation…what to do when crisis hits…performance reporting
- Negotiating agreements: a PM’s sources of power
- Achieving commitment and creating project successes
- Build a High-Performing Team and Create Commitment to Assist Your Team in Meeting Its Deadlines
- Communicate More Clearly Within the Project Environment, Including Giving and Receiving Constructive Feedback
- Delegate More Successfully as a Project Manager
- Facilitate Effective Meetings, Including Presenting an Options Paper to Get the Team or Stakeholders to Make a Decision
- Manage Various Types of Communications Throughout the Project Life Cycle
- Resolve Conflicts to Keep Team Committed and on Track
- Negotiate More Effectively, Understanding How to Better Utilize Various Influencing Styles
Leading in Today’s Project Environment
- Understand the Need for Project Management and How Its Application Has Changed over the Years
- Analyze Project Failures at a Greater Depth of Understanding
- Define What Project Success, High Commitment, and Superior Communication Mean and How They Relate in Your World
- Identify the Key Leadership Skills Needed By a Project Manager and Assess Your Own Style
The Ins and Outs of Communication Skills
- Utilize Different Communication Techniques to Communicate with Your Project Stakeholders and Team Members in a Clear, Concise Way
- Give and Receive Constructive Feedback, Especially During Times of Anger, Disappointment, and Frustration
- Understand and Experience the Fact That the Same Words Can Mean Different Things to Different People
- Understand the Different Methods of Communicating Within a Project Team and Minimize the Barriers to Communication
Understanding Team Dynamics
- Identify the Characteristics of High-Performing, Spirited Teams
- Assess the Phase That You Are In and Your Project Team Is In, Using the Team Spirit Process of Development
- Understand Conflict, the Role It Plays in Teams, Your Conflict Style, and Methods to Deal with It
- Mediate Disputes Between Your Project Team Members to Assess Your Team and Determine Possible Actions to Improve Team Behaviors
Communication During the Project Definition and Planning Phases
- Identify Your Key Stakeholders and Interview Them to Gather Their Wants and Needs
- Communicate with the Project Team and Stakeholders During Phase 1 (Project Definition) and Phase 2 (Planning) of the Project
- Understand the Three Levels of Communication Surrounding a Project
- “Let Go of the Work” and Delegate More Successfully
Communication During Project Implementation and Closure
- Communicate and Report Status During Project Implementation to Both Team Members and Stakeholders in a Way That Minimizes the Chance of Miscommunications
- Hold Effective Team Meetings and Obtain Feedback from Team Members
- Understand “Consensus” and How and When to Use It with Project Teams
- Re-plan the Project When It Is in Crises and Present Options to Stakeholders in a Way That Optimizes the Chance That They Will Make a Decision
- Identify and Utilize Key Skills, Strategies, and Tactics Needed to Successfully Manage the Negotiation Process
- Understand a Project Manager’s Sources of Power and Analyze Your Ability to Influence Others
- Organize a Negotiation Using the Five Stages of the Negotiation Process
Wrap-Up: Effective Project Leadership
- Understand the Team Dynamics That Effective Project Managers Are Trying to Create in Order to Create a Highly Committed Team and More Project Successes
- Choose and Implement Some Tips in Creating Positive Team Dynamics
- Return to Work and Implement Some Ideas from This Course
Videos and materials
Because of COVID-19, many providers are cancelling or postponing in-person programs or providing online participation options.
We are happy to help you find a suitable online alternative.