Who should attend
This program is directly relevant to executives and business managers who:
- Must ensure projects are aligned with organizational strategy and deliver value for money.
- Are involved with project boards, steering committees, advisory groups, and working groups.
- Make high-level, strategic decisions about projects; are responsible for establishing or improving their organization’s project oversight function
- Want to improve their organization’s success rate for project delivery; are stakeholders in projects.
This program will also interest project managers who wish to understand the executive perspective.
About the course
Learn how project governance directs decisions and decision-making information to the right people and enables them to make timely decisions in the best interests of the project. Understand the importance of project governance and how it drives strategic alignment, enables effective and efficient decision-making for projects, maximizes stakeholder engagement and improves project outcomes.
Why this program?
Bad decisions threaten projects and can push them over the edge into failure. We sometimes hear stories of failed projects that ran off the rails and it was too late to course-correct. This rarely “just happened”. There were always signs along the way that the project was in trouble, but they went unheeded.
Good project governance positions your projects for success, whereas a lack of project governance is a key contributor to failed projects. Project governance ensures that projects fit the strategy and needs of the organization, offer value for money, and have a reasonable likelihood of success.
You’ll learn how to structure project governance to engage and represent stakeholders while still optimizing the decision-making process. This course explains how project boards, advisory groups, working groups and the project team work together to deliver those results the business really needs. You’ll learn the purpose of each group, who belongs in the groups, and the roles and responsibilities of those involved. We’ll also explore how to scale and flex the governance model to accommodate projects of varying size and risk. Using real-world examples, and drawing on your own experiences, you’ll learn what works and what common pitfalls to avoid.
Through this program, you will:
- Understand the principles of effective governance of projects.
- Know how to structure an effective governance layer, tailored to fit project size and risk.
- Understand the roles and responsibilities of those involved in project governance.
- Be able to work effectively within a project governance framework; know how to establish and improve a project governance framework.
Please note that this is not a project management program. Project management is a rich and complex domain, and we offer other courses specifically for project managers. This program is for executives and managers who want to take the concept of a “project steering committee” and turn it into a fully-fledged governance structure that creates an environment where project managers will thrive.
Dedicated, process-driven, senior IT professional with 25+ years of international experience leading teams, successfully managing complex projects, and delivering smoothly-running operational environments that organizations rely on. Heavily data- and systems-oriented with a proven ability to imp...
Read more about Project management
Because of COVID-19, many providers are cancelling or postponing in-person programs or providing online participation options.
We are happy to help you find a suitable online alternative.