Who should attend
This program is designed for professionals in any career field or industry wishing to polish their writing skills. Whether writing a formal presentation, composing press releases or marketing materials, or drafting memos, this class can provide the skills you need.
Many business professionals, even those who can create good writing, often find writing to be difficult, time-consuming, and intimidating, and their writing doesn’t always produce the results they want.
If you would like to have a repeatable recipe for good writing that applies to any content or format, that speeds up composition time, helps you make your writing clearer, more succinct and easier to read, and that gets people to respond to you within the time frame you set, then this course is for you.
About the course
Professional Business Writing is centered on the idea that every piece of effective business writing, whether it's an email, memo, formal letter, marketing piece or web page, should cause the reader to take action. This Professional Business Writing course is designed to help you think about communication in a new and more effective way, and to learn how to make your writing an expression of that new way of thinking.
Although this course addresses the use of proper grammar and vocabulary, it is designed to teach you a more effective way of thinking about and using business writing and is not a course in basic writing skills.
Professional Business Writing also counts as an elective towards completing the Integrated Marketing Communications Certificate Program.
Effective business writing can set you apart from other employees, get you noticed by your superiors, and improve your chances of advancement.
You’ll gain these skills:
- Knowledge of a repeatable plan for writing any business document quickly and efficiently
- The ability to use the correct structure of effective business writing, including how to define the writing challenge, audience, desired outcome, communication style and format
- The ability to motivate readers to take action by using the proper message structure, establishing credibility, and clearly and concisely defining benefits to the reader
- Online group discussion
- Recipe for Success: 4 W’s
- Who is the target audience
- What action or response are you asking of the target
- Why will the target do what you are asking
- When should the target respond
- Choosing the right approach
- Selecting the right vehicle
- Possible miscommunication
- 7 Steps for Successful Writing
- Document structure
- Message structure
- Writing best practices
- Editing tips
- Proofreading tips
- Gender-neutral writing
- Writing in someone else’s voice
- Email best practices
- Commonly confused and misused terms
Videos and materials
Read more about Business Communication
Because of COVID-19, many providers are cancelling or postponing in-person programs or providing online participation options.
We are happy to help you find a suitable online alternative.