This course has no confirmed dates in the future. Subscribe to be notified when it is offered.
About the course
This course will help administrative professionals develop their writing skills and learn how to write more effectively. They will discover how to structure effective emails and letters, and there will be a session on writing tasks such as writing agendas and minutes for meetings.
By the end of the course, participants will be able to:
- Write advanced emails, memos and letters in a clear and concise way.
- Organize the content by using an effective introduction, body and conclusion.
- Present the written ideas in logical sequence.
- Satisfy the requirements of the reader by outlining his/her needs and benefits.
- Apply the ABC formula (Accurate, Brief and Clear) when writing.
Advanced Techniques for Effectively Writing:
- Brief and Professional Emails
- Brief and Professional Letters
- Brief and Professional Memos
- Other Business Documents
Organizing the Content
- Strong Capturing Introduction
- Proper Factual Body
- Effective Logical Conclusion
- Creating a Coherent Document
- Creating a Cohesive Document
- Use of Visual Aids in Writing
- Matching Visual Aids with Words
- Converting Visual Aids into Words
- Converting Words into Visual Aids
Logical Sequence of Ideas
- Writing is a Thinking Process
- Writing is NOT a Mechanical Process
- Proper Flow of Ideas
- Avoiding Confusing Ideas for the Reader
- The Writing Planning Process
- The Writing Building Blocks
Use of Clear Language
- The 10 Cs of Powerful Writing
- The Big B of Powerful Writing
- Reviewing and Revising
- Editing for Clear Language
- Avoiding Vague Terms and Jargon
- Avoiding Cliche and Obsolete Words
- The Fog Index
Matching the Tone and Style to Suit the Reader
- Formal Business Writing
- Semi-Formal and Informal Writing
- Reader-Friendly Writing
- The Reader as Your Main and Major Customer
- Knowing the Needs of your Reader
- The Impact of Positive Tone on your Reader
- The Impact of Writing Style on your Reader
- The Danger of Using the Wrong Tone with your Reader
## Course Methodology
A variety of methodologies will be used during the course that includes:
- (30%) Based on Case Studies
- (30%) Techniques
- (30%) Role Play
- (10%) Concepts
- Pre-test and Post-test
- Variety of Learning Methods
- Case Studies and Self Questionaires
- Group Work
Who should attend
All individuals whose work requires business writing, including memos, letters and emails.