Comprehensive course analysis
Who should attend
Portfolio managers and support personnel, wealth managers, investors, private bankers and financial advisors.
About the course
This course helps develop core competencies in portfolio management. Students will learn how to conduct portfolio performance measurement and attribution and review portfolio strategies for a variety of asset classes including fixed income, equity, and alternatives.
- Intermediate MS Excel skills
- Basic probability and statistics
- Familiarity with fixed income instruments and concepts
- Familiarity with equity valuation concepts
COURSE 1: FIXED INCOME PORTFOLIO MANAGEMENT
- M01: REVIEW OF FIXED INCOME
- Fixed income arithmetic
- Fixed income instruments
- Term structures of rates and yields
- How are bonds traded?
- Duration and Convexity
- Corporate bonds and credit risk
- M02: PASSIVE FIXED INCOME PORTFOLIO STRATEGIES
- Fixed income indexes
- Index funds and replication techniques
- Tracking error minimization
- Cash flow matching
- Immunization techniques
- M03: ACTIVE FIXED INCOME PORTFOLIO STRATEGIES
- Rate prediction strategies
- Yield curve strategies
- Interest rate scenario analysis
- Credit strategies
- Tactical allocation strategies
- Relative value strategies
COURSE 2: EQUITY PORTFOLIO MANAGEMENT
- M01: REVIEW OF EQUITY VALUATION TECHNIQUES
- Importance and quality of earnings
- Present value models
- Multiples based valuation
- Asset-based valuation models
- Industry and company analysis
- M02: EQUITY STRATEGIES
- Structuring an equity portfolio
- Use of indexes
- Hedging with options
- Short selling
- Growth strategies
- Value strategies
- M03: MODERN PORTFOLIO THEORY
- Systematic vs. Idiosyncratic Risk
- Deriving beta
- Performance measurement and attribution
COURSE 3: HEDGE FUNDS
M01: Hedge Fund Overview
M02: Hedge Fund Investment Strategies
M03: Analyzing Hedge Funds
M04: Hedge Fund Industry Infrastructure
M05: Hedge Fund Industry Trends and Challenges
Module 4: Mortgage Pass-through Securities
COURSE 4: PORTFOLIO MANAGEMENT THEORY & PRACTICE (PART I)
- M01: Course Objectives and Overview
- M02: The Capital Markets
- M03: Statistical Tools for Portfolio Management
- M04: Risk and Risk/Return Measurement
- M05: Analyzing Portfolio Performance
- M06: The Investment Decision Making Process
COURSE 4: PORTFOLIO MANAGEMENT THEORY & PRACTICE (PART II)
- M01: Mutual Fund Overview
- M02: Hedge Fund Overview
- M03: Private Equity Overview
- M04: Exchange Traded Funds
- M05: Retirement and Estate Planning
- M06: Managing the Client
BY THE END OF THIS PROFESSIONAL CERTIFICATE, YOU WILL BE ABLE TO:
- Understand active and passive fixed income portfolio management strategies.
- Correctly implement a variety of yield curve strategies.
- Understand the risk and return characteristics of a number of equity strategies.
- Understand the prevalent hedge fund strategies and the implications for diversified portfolio performance.
- Understand the interrelationships between strategies across asset classes.
- Understand the implications of modern portfolio theory for real-world portfolio management.
- Learn how to measure portfolio performance.
- Learn how to attribute portfolio performance to risk factors.
Because of COVID-19, many providers are cancelling or postponing in-person programs or providing online participation options.
We are happy to help you find a suitable online alternative.