About the course
This course introduces the accounting and reporting requirements for pension and postretirement benefits as outlined in ASC 715 – Compensation – Retirement Benefits. This includes accounting for the postretirement benefit obligation, plan assets of defined benefit plans and components of net periodic pension costs. Plan amendments, curtailments and settlements are also covered. Many entities provide some type of pension or postretirement benefit to its employees, but the accounting for each type of benefit has specific guidance.
By the end of this course, participants should be able to:
- recognize the differences between a defined contribution plan and a multiemployer plan
- recall the proper accounting for changes to the projected benefit obligation of defined benefit plans
- identify the proper accounting for plan assets of defined benefit plans
- determine the proper accounting for the components of net periodic pension cost
- distinguish between a plan amendment, curtailment and settlement
- recall the key presentation and disclosure requirements of defined benefit plans.
Because of COVID-19, many providers are cancelling or postponing in-person programs or providing online participation options.
We are happy to help you find a suitable online alternative.