Make sure this course is right for you.
Get unbiased reviews and personalized recommendations.
Who should attend
This seminar is suitable for:
- Members of the treasury departments of companies within the oil and gas, petrochemical, and other industries who have responsibilities for managing cash flow and working capital.
- Business professionals, strategic and business development planners, and project professionals who wish to refresh their understanding and enhance their skills in managing and improving cash flow and working capital performance.
- Personnel employed in the banking, insurance and the general financial services sector where the management of cash is of prime importance.
- Any operational, engineering, commercial, marketing, technical, or financial personnel whose work impacts on cash flow or working capital, and who wish to develop their expertise in these areas to support their current roles or for career development.
About the course
In recent years there has been a growing recognition that, in the long run, effective management of cash flow is more important than profit. Long-term cash flow is the real value of a business. It has also been recognized that there is significant potential for improved financial performance from the more effective management of working capital – both directly from immediate cash gains and reduced net interest costs, and indirectly through its impact on increased profitability and return on capital employed. A key challenge in achieving these performance improvements results from the fact that actual levels of working capital and delivery of cash flow are effectively determined by the day-to-day actions of a great many managers and staff, which in large corporations often run into tens of thousands.
This seminar will highlight:
- Optimizing working capital
- Managing accounts receivable
- Managing inventory
- Strategic management of cash & working capital
- Planning, forecasting and monitoring cash and working capital
- Financial modelling tools and techniques for cash and working capital management
## Course Objectives
The objectives of the seminar are to provide delegates with the necessary tools and techniques to enable delegates to:
- Acquire an understanding of the fundamentals of effective management of cash flow, including the optimization of the level of working capital.
- Develop practical experience of how to manage cash flow and optimize working capital to facilitate such delivery in real life business situations.
- Increase personal financial skill levels
- Develop confidence through understanding the major drivers of successful financial performance.
- Learn a number of technical skills, all of which lead to the ability to calculate the required figures and implement them into value adding business decisions.
At the end of this seminar, you will learn to:
- Read and understand balance sheets and profit-and-loss statements
- Understand the basic concepts of finance as it relates to their businesses
- Be aware of the singular importance of cash as the life blood of a business
- Focus on key management areas of inventory, accounts receivable and accounts payable
- Understand how to control and manage the cash flow of a business
- Forecast cash flows and draft a cash budget
- Evaluate projects based on their expected cash flows
- Incorporate risk into financial decisions
## Course Outline
Accounting for Cash & Performance
- A Performance Management Model
- The Financial Language
- Accounting Basics from source documents to the General Ledger
- Cash Flow and Working Capital
- The 3 Key Financial Statements
- Cash Vs Profit
- Using financial statement to manage cash and working capital
*Measuring and Improving Performance *
The Impact of Inflation on Financial Performance
- Measuring Performance: Ratios and KPIs
- Benchmarking of Performance
- Ratios for cash and working capital management
- Basics of working capital management
- Credit Risk Management
- Financial modelling for cash and working capital management
- Spreadsheet modelling and tools and approaches.
Optimization of Working Capital.
Optimization not Minimization
- Key Issues
- Settlement Options
- The Cost of Working Capital
- Long term
- Short term
- Practical Examples
Strategic Cash Management
- Cash & Cost modelling
- The Time Value of Money and Discounted Cash Flow (DCF)
- Net Present Value (NPV) and Internal Rate of Return (IRR)
- The Key Investment Indicators
- Defining the Right Base Case, Sensitivity and Risk Analysis
- Treatment of Working Capital
- Valuing Companies and Acquisitions
- The Drivers of Value
- Delivering Project Value
- Course Summary and Checklists
- Cash Budgets & Capital Budgets reviewed
- Financial Skills and Further Development
- Open Forum
- Course Review
Videos and materials
Because of COVID-19, many providers are cancelling or postponing in-person programs or providing online participation options.
We are happy to help you find a suitable online alternative.