Organizational Politics and Power Dynamics: Competitive Strategies for Growing Your Career
Coursalytics is an independent platform to find, compare, and book executive courses. Coursalytics is not endorsed by, sponsored by, or otherwise affiliated with Leonard N. Stern School of Business.Full disclaimer.
Organizations — from companies to communities —suffer not due to the presence of politics, but the absence of political skills to effectively manage those politics.
This 2-day program aims to dispel the misconceptions of what power—the basis of social behavior—really means within an organizational context, and give participants a practical grasp of what the actual sources of power are.Technical skills are needed to find solutions to problems, but political skills are needed to find resolutions to conflicts. This program will provide a systematic approach for learning these political skills.
By the end of this program, participants will have gained substantial insight into how best to harness their political skills for effective management of conflict at different levels of the organization and different stages of its growth.
- Definitions – Gain a pragmatic grasp of what power and politics mean in organizational settings
- Frameworks – Assess their political skills and shortfalls using frameworks that are simple, potent and immediately applicable
- Actionable Plan – Develop an actionable career plan to manage interpersonal conflict and enhance the productivity of individuals and teams
Session 1: Power and Politics at the Individual Level
- Organizations as political systems
- Power and its different faces
- The dynamics of power play at the individual level
Session 2: Power and Politics in Complex Organizations
- Power plays and strategies to manage them
- Managing power play between team members and teams
Day 1 Conclusion and Evaluations
Session 3: Personal Plan for Power Management
- The politics of persuasion and the power of language
- The politics of crisis and how to manage it
Session 4: Developing a Power-based Strategy to Grow Your Career
- Playing politics and playing it right
- Developing your career strategy in the pursuit of power
Program Conclusion and Evaluations
Who should attend
Although there are no formal education or background requirements, this course is designed for executives who meet the criteria below. While we strongly encourage global participation, please note that all courses are taught in English. Proficiency in written and spoken English is required.
- Years of Experience – Designed for professionals with 5+ years of work experience
- Job Functions – Ideal for managers across functional areas who regularly handle organizational conflict
- Prerequisites – Intended for professional with existing political and conflict management skills