Who should attend
Students from all educational backgrounds welcome. You can register for this course without applying and enrolling in a program.
About the course
Explores the theory and practice of the organization in three major parts: the organizational environment, the organizational structure, and the behaviour of groups and individuals within the organization. Topics include the social role of managers, organizational structure, individual perception, motivation, decision-making and leadership, communication, teamwork and stress in the work place.
Course at a glance
- Fully online course, accessible through eClass, the University of Alberta’s eLearning management tool.
- Learn through lectures and lively discussions, as you broaden your network and apply the course content to the context of your own work or organization and explore its implications for your professional practice.
- Aimed at beginning to mid-career individuals interested in acquiring new workplace skills, this course will also benefit prospective or aspiring managers ready to take the next step in their careers.
What you will learn
By the end of this course, you should be able to:
- Understand how individual, group and organization behaviours interact and impact each other; and how these three levels impact the organization and its success.
- Evaluate the various OB theories in the context of your own organization and experience with supervisors, peers and staff.
- Interpret the theories explored and apply them in your workplace.
- Question and debate the theory to judge its application in certain situations and workplace environments.
- This is a graded course; assessment activities may include exams, projects, presentations, journals, or research papers.
- Refer to the course syllabus for details on activities and assignments.
- A textbook is required for this course; further information will be provided in the course syllabus.
- Additional learning materials are provided through eClass at no additional cost.
Patrick has over 20 years of experience in the human resources profession and over fifteen years experience in facilitation, and the development and education of adults. In 2003 he founded S.P.L. Development Services Incorporated. He was educated at Dalhousie University and possesses a Bachelor...
Because of COVID-19, many providers are cancelling or postponing in-person programs or providing online participation options.
We are happy to help you find a suitable online alternative.