Who should attend
Although there are no formal education or background requirements, this course is designed for executives who meet the criteria below. While we strongly encourage global participation, please note that all courses are taught in English. Proficiency in written and spoken English is required.
- Years of Experience – Designed for professionals with 5+ years of work experience
- Job Functions – Ideal for professionals responsible for negotiating arrangements with clients, vendors, employees and other organizational stakeholders
- Prerequisites – Intended for professionals with existing negotiation skills and experience
About the course
Negotiation is an inherent reality of any workplace. We constantly negotiate with employees, bosses, coworkers, vendors, clients and nearly everyone else that we encounter. These negotiations are critical to our success, yet often result in outcomes that fall short of what they could have been. In the worst situations, they even lead to costly and unnecessary conflicts.
This course will develop your skills as a negotiator, empowering you to optimize the outcomes of your negotiations and to enhance the resolutions of your complex disputes. You will learn how to pursue ideal settlements, achieve buy-in from conflicting parties and successfully implement solutions to the benefit of your organization. To hone these essential skills, this program utilizes an experiential approach in which participants actively engage in a variety of simulated negotiations. Through extensive discussion and analysis of these simulations, you will enhance your ability to effectively negotiate agreements and resolve disputes.
- Tactics – Learn how to implement optimal tactics and strategies in a wide variety of negotiations
- Collaboration – Pursue individual goals by creating opportunities for “win-win” solutions through collaborative negotiation
- Optimization – Capitalize on the strengths of their individual negotiation styles and avoid many of the costly pitfalls that negotiators often make
Session 1: Claiming Value: How to Achieve Better Outcomes through Competition
- Introduction: The key obstacles to effective negotiation
- Tactics for optimizing your outcomes in any negotiation
- Strategies to enhance your success before you even show up
Session 2: Creating Value, Part 1: How to Achieve Better Outcomes through Collaboration
- Fundamental principles of collaborative negotiation
- Overcoming barriers and resistance to collaboration—from yourself and others
- Knowing if, when and how to pursue value creation
Day 1 Conclusion and Evaluations
Session 3: Creating Value, Part 2: Advanced Tactics for Optimizing Value Creation
- Advanced principles of collaborative negotiation
- Complex strategies and tools for value creation
- Avoiding the risks of exploitation
Session 4: Negotiation Styles and Signals
- Recognizing and leveraging your personal negotiation style
- Understanding the broader impact of your actions and approach during negotiations
Day 2 Conclusion and Evaluations
Session 5: Resolving Conflict through Negotiations
- Key approaches and tools for resolving conflict through negotiations
- Identifying and managing unproductive emotions that arise during conflict
- Reorienting conflict toward collaboration
Session 6: Negotiating through Agents
- Avoiding common pitfalls and leveraging agents to your advantage
- Negotiating as part of a team
- Telling the truth: Ethical and strategic considerations
Program Conclusion and Evaluations
Steven Blader received his B.A. in Psychology from the University of Pennsylvania (1994) and his Ph.D. in Social Psychology from New York University (2002). His research identifies the organizational conditions that motivate employee performance by addressing employees' social and relational conc...
Seth Freeman , JD, teaches negotiation and conflict management courses at SIPA and at Columbia Business School. Freeman also serves as assistant clinical professor at NYU''s Stern School of Business. He also serves as a visiting professor of International Negotiation at several programs abroad, ...
Videos and materials
Because of COVID-19, many providers are cancelling or postponing in-person programs or providing online participation options.
We are happy to help you find a suitable online alternative.