Who should attend
- HR and labor relations professionals
- Managers and executives working in a union environment
- Attorneys involved in collective bargaining
- Union officials involved in collective bargaining
About the course
Negotiation is a fundamental method for resolving conflicts and reaching agreements to solve an array of workplace problems, including negotiating collective bargaining agreements
In this course, you'll study and practice negotiation skills through a series of role plays and experiential learning. Starting with simple, one-on-one negotiations of everyday situations, you'll progress to more complex group negotiations, including informal and formal workplace negotiation situations. You'll gain insight into your own negotiation biases, weaknesses, and strengths, and build negotiation confidence and competency. Participants examine how to plan a negotiation strategy and practice the communication skills necessary to surface the underlying needs and interests driving the negotiation in order to craft agreements. Both competitive and collaborative negotiation skills are explored.
This course features pre-session access to an individual conflict-style diagnostic tool to help you understand how your tendencies in dealing with conflict can help or hinder you in successful negotiations.
Key Course Takeaways
- The basic building blocks of negotiation theory and practice
- How to plan a negotiation approach and strategy
- The communication skills necessary to surface underlying needs and interests
- When to use competitive and collaborative negotiation techniques
- How to flex your negotiation style to suit the situation
- Conflict reactions and styles
- Structuring the negotiation discussion process
- Collaborative and competitive negotiation approaches
- Building trust through negotiation
Sally Klingel is the director of labor-management relations programming for the Scheinman Institute, where she teaches, trains and provides organizational change consulting services to labor and management groups nation-wide. She specializes in the design and implementation of conflict and negoti...
have worked many years as a labor-relations lawyer and I am a negotiator, administrator, problem-solver and teacher with a diverse portfolio. With a Harvard Law degree and more than 25 years experience, I can provide the highest quality negotiation, contract and workplace advice and assistance, a...
Read more about Negotiations
Because of COVID-19, many providers are cancelling or postponing in-person programs or providing online participation options.
We are happy to help you find a suitable online alternative.