Who should attend
Professionals in any business and in any role – from marketing and IT to HR and finance – who want to make their mark in the world of negotiation. All you need to participate is a proficient level of English.
About the course
READY TO TAKE YOUR NEGOTIATION SKILLS UP A LEVEL?
Our highly interactive online programme shows you how to recognise negotiation situations – and importantly, how to take the lead in them. First you’ll get deep insight into your personal negotiation profile with our unique NQ® model. Then you’ll refine it, develop your skills – and put them into practice in real-life situations with your fellow participants. By the end of your journey, you won’t just be sitting at the negotiation table – you’ll be commanding it.
And when you complete this programme, you get an official Vlerick certificate.
WHY THIS PROGRAMME?
If you’re looking for the knowledge, mindset and skills you need to turn negotiation challenges into opportunities, this is the programme for you.
After completing this online programme, you’ll:
- Identify your own strengths and pitfalls when negotiating based on the results of the NQ scan
- Recognise and Shape any negotiation situation with confidence
- Understand which negotiation style you personally prefer and recognise other people's negotiation styles
- Change your mindset when negotiating, by trying to suspend your judgement, showing sincere curiosity and aiming high
- Develop the following skills to become more NQ intelligent: non-conformist thinking, inquisitiveness, becoming more persuasive
Thorough but flexible, this programme is designed to work around your professional and personal commitments. Each week you’ll start a new module which you’ll complete at your own pace. You will spend between two to four hours per week to complete the course materials and assignments.
Your six-week online journey brings together a number of different learning formats to help you get the most from the programme – from short videos and readings through to peer discussions and real-life negotiation assignments. You’ll have online and offline projects. And you’ll put theory into practice with your fellow participants in hands-on exercises.
Each week, we will follow the same sequence of activities:
- VIDEO THEORY To kick off each module, Professor Katia Tieleman will explain the theoretical concepts in a short video. During the rest of the module, these concepts will be the guiding principles in casework and exercises.
- CASE WITH ACTORS This unique feature of the programme helps you apply the theoretical concepts to a practical case. The actors embody the different stakeholders in a real-life case, highlighting the different aspects and pitfalls of negotiations.
- PRACTICE LINKED TO CASE Using the case as an example, you will be asked to reflect upon the different aspects of negotiation.
- EXPERIMENT IN YOUR OWN CONTEXT Being able to transfer your learnings to your personal context is crucial, so we will help you do that by means of various experiments.
- PEER FEEDBACK Throughout the programme, you will be able to give and receive feedback from your fellow participants.
THREE THINGS YOU SHOULD KNOW ABOUT OUR ONLINE LEARNING JOURNEYS
A high-impact learning journey
- Learn through different formats – from quizzes, videos and peer-to-peer learning to discussions, case studies and real-life business challenges
- Turn your knowledge into action – take what you’ve learned and immediately put it into practice with live projects and stimulated exercises
- Experience a mix of creating content together, sharing of experiences, applying to your own context, learning from peers and translating it back to your own reality
- Study anywhere, any time – our online approach means you can learn your way
- Learn at your own pace – timetables and clear deadlines help you to plan your schedule
- Make the transition – our online programmes give you time to develop your skills and take them back to your workplace
We know the challenges you face
- Get cutting-edge insight – our faculty have close ties to the business world and our home in the heart of Europe means we understand the fast-paced environment you work in
- Get support every step of the way – share ideas and experiences with your fellow participants and get individual feedback from our faculty
Barney Jordaan is professor of management practice at Vlerick. He holds a doctorate in law from Stellenbosch University, where he was professor of law until 1997 teaching employment, contract and intellectual property law. He thereafter taught negotiation at Stellenbosch University Business Schoo...
Katia Tieleman is Professor in Negotiation and Conflict Management at Vlerick Business School and a leading authority in the field of negotiations. She is affiliated with the Harvard Program on Negotiation at Harvard Law School. For her high impact interventions, Katia draws from her sophisticate...
Videos and materials
Because of COVID-19, many providers are cancelling or postponing in-person programs or providing online participation options.
We are happy to help you find a suitable online alternative.