Who should attend
This program is designed for senior and upper-middle level executives who are now or will be involved in M&A activity. CFOs, CEOs, and general counsel considering or currently involved in M&A activity will find this program immensely valuable.
Titles include: C-suite, general manager, vice president, director of business development, director of finance, strategic planner, business unit manager, general counsel, and analyst.
About the course
This interdisciplinary program gives executives the analytical framework and tools necessary to successfully execute mergers, acquisitions, and corporate restructuring.
The forces of globalization and technological change have created a highly competitive and dynamic business world where mergers and acquisitions are increasingly used to seek competitive advantage and maximize value for shareholders.
Engaging in M&A activity is not a low-risk endeavor, so it is imperative that executives know how to navigate this landscape. At Chicago Booth, you will learn not only from M&A successes but also from M&A failures to better evaluate risk and put frameworks and tools to practice in a risk-free environment.
During this program, you will:
- Develop a strategic plan for M&A activity.
- Analyze strategic alternatives to M&A.
- Understand the M&A due diligence process and develop your due diligence skills.
- Understand business valuation techniques.
- Implement a strategy for integration and restructuring.
- Structure the deal to minimize tax consequences.
- Learn how to best protect shareholder value during M&A.
- Understand the use of M&A by large public corporations, privately held middle-market firms, and private equity firms.
- Learn a playbook of M&A best practices.
- Create competitive advantage through acquisition, merger, divestiture, or alliance
- Determine attractiveness and fit of a candidate
- Analyze the alternatives to M&A such as strategic alliances or joint ventures
Investment Decisions and Financing
- Understand valuation methods in evaluating M&A prospects
- Consider capital structure and financing choices and understand/compute pro forma metrics
- Review an LBO transaction and financing structure
- Understand market reaction to transactions
- Understand tax implications of various tax structures for both the buyer and seller
- Structure transactions to maximize the seller's after-tax wealth and to minimize the buyer’s after-tax cost
- Become familiar with various valuation implications of tax planning for mergers, acquisitions and divestitures
M&A Strategy and Target Identification, Deal Phase, and Due Diligence
- Develop an end-to-end process view of corporate development and M&A
- Obtain tools to identify and prioritize acquisition targets
- Test and validate a potential deal thesis
- Learn due diligence activities necessary to test an investment thesis
- Develop synergy estimates
- Identify key risk issues to be investigated in due diligence
- Develop a due diligence plan
- Develop a strategy for successful integration
- Manage post-merger integration with focus on shareholder value
- Understand the decisions and processes that impact the new organization's strategy, structure, and culture
Greg Bunch draws on a wealth of experience as an entrepreneur, manager, consultant, alderman, and teacher. He is the founder of Masterplan International Corporation, a strategy consulting firm. He was also a partner at Brandtrust, a brand strategy consultancy. Greg is a co-founder of Oration, a ...
Merle Erickson studies the effect of taxes on the pricing and structuring of mergers, acquisitions, and divestitures; and the use of accounting information in valuation and contracting. He also studies, among other things, various aspects of accounting fraud. He teaches “Taxes and Business Strate...
Steve Morrissette''s career includes large corporate experience in mergers & acquisitions and banking as well as entrepreneurial projects as an investor and founding CEO of several start-up businesses. In addition to 25 years of practitioner expertise, his academic career includes 12 years of...
Laura M. Born held the title of Managing Director in Investment Banking at J.P. Morgan Chase & Co until 2007. Over her 16 year tenure, she worked in the Equity Capital Markets, Leveraged Finance and Investment Banking Coverage departments. During her career, she focused on consumer clients an...
Videos and materials
Because of COVID-19, many providers are cancelling or postponing in-person programs or providing online participation options.
We are happy to help you find a suitable online alternative.