Comprehensive course analysis
For a limited time only $40.00 $20.00Order
Who should attend
The Mergers and Acquisitions program is for companies applying or investigating acquisitions as a part of their strategy to expand or to acquire new capabilities.
The program is designed for executive and management team members participating now or in the future in an M&A process. Managers and experts from the CFO’s office, strategic development, HR and others will also find this program very valuable.
About the course
Best Practices in Strategic M&A
The Mergers and Acquisitions program gives you a structured understanding of the M&A process and equips you with the tools and skills you need for succeeding in each phase of the process.
The program focuses on M&A as a means to implement company strategy and deepens participants’ understanding of different phases of the process from the M&A strategy and deal phase to post-merger integration and leading change.
The program will add significantly to your ability to perform and contribute when participating in any phase of the M&A process. You will learn the latest knowledge and best practices from the leading experts in the field, which you can share with your organization.
During this program, you will learn how to make your organization better prepared for M&A in the changing business and technology landscape. You will learn to identify and use the right tools for each phase of the M&A process. You will enhance your organization’s chance of smart acquisitions, successful integrations, and continued business success.
How M&A can help your organization to accomplish its strategic objectives and how you can best lead (or contribute to) a successful M&A
The entire M&A process and what it means for you and your organization in different phases
Key frameworks, tools, and best practices, including how to recognize common success factors and pitfalls
Contents and Schedule
The program will be taught through a mix of lectures, exercises and case discussions.
Industry guest speakers will invited to the program to share their experiences and learnings on M&A process and integration.
Strategy, Process, and Target Identification in M&A
Analyzing the risks and opportunities of mergers and acquisitions. We will discuss various strategic logics of successful acquisitions and how these are translated into concrete revenue and cost synergies. Multiples-based valuation methods are applied to provide a framework for quantitative analysis of a transaction.
- The role of M&A in business strategy
- Translating strategy into an M&A plan
- The process model and integrated view of M&A
- Identifying and prioritizing acquisition targets
- Key success factors and Common pitfalls in M&A strategy and deal making
Competitive dynamics of M&A: technology and market perspectives. DD & deal structuring
Competitive dynamics of M&A: technology and market perspective
- Anticipating competitive and market response in the age of technology (digitalization, connectivity, AI)
DD & deal structuring
- Key DD considerations, including acquiring technology
- Linking DD to negotiation, valuation, synergy creation, integration and other activities
- Key structuring considerations
- Review of fundamentals of valuation
- Communicating valuation consideration with others
- Key valuation considerations and common pitfalls
- Advanced valuation considerations, including acquiring technology
- Deal structure issues and their impact to valuation
Post merger integration – day 1
- Understanding the dynamics and impact of organizational cultures
- Assessing target organization’s organizational culture and fit
- Bringing organizational cultures together in an integration
- Having the management system right
- The role of strategic agility in M&A and how to achieve it
Post merger integration – day 2
- Process perspective to PMI and the advantages of structured approach
- The role of early PMI planning in successful integration
- The connection of early synergy assessment and planning in capturing full value
- Best practices for integration planning and execution
Adjunct Professor of Strategy and Entrepreneurship MA (Oxford), MBA (Harvard) Marcus Alexander is an expert on the relationship between individual business units and the 'corporate parent'; and on the management of multi-business groups, especially in international contexts. His research focus...
Jukka Luoma is an Assistant Professor in Marketing since 2015, specializing in strategic marketing. His teaching and research focuses competitive dynamics, market-oriented strategies, and the use of models and data in organizational decision making. TEACHING 2017, 2016 Global Marketing Managem...
Peer-reviewed scientific articlesJournal article-refereed, Original researchStock ownership and political behavior Evidence from demutualizationsKaustia, Markku; Knüpfer, Samuli; Torstila, Sami2016 in MANAGEMENT SCIENCE (INST OPERATIONS RESEARCH MANAGEMENT SCIENCES)ISSN: 0025-1909Is there a futur...
Debbie Wrench leads the Swedish Post Merger Integration team. Wrench has over 15 years of experience in working on mergers, integrations and separations. Wrench has hands-on experience of planning and implementing integrations and separations in the UK, USA, Europe and Chile. Wrench has worked o...
Tapio Koivumäki is Leader of Operational M&A Advisory in Finland, including integration, separation and operational due diligence services for corporate and private equity clients. Koivumäki has worked on numerous complex deals over the last 10 years in TMT, E&R, IP&S, Chemicals, Sec...
Marko Pöllänen is Partner and the leader of Deloitte’s Transaction Services team in Finland and he is specialized in M&A advisory including financial due diligence engagements in both buy-side and sell-side transactions. Pöllänen has long experience from developing strategy, executing M&...
Videos and materials
Because of COVID-19, many providers are cancelling or postponing in-person programs or providing online participation options.
We are happy to help you find a suitable online alternative.