Who should attend
The Mergers and Acquisitions program is for companies applying or investigating acquisitions as a part of their strategy to expand or to acquire new capabilities.
The program is designed for executive and management team members participating now or in the future in an M&A process. Managers and experts from the CFO’s office, strategic development, HR and others will also find this program very valuable.
About the course
Best Practices in Strategic M&A
The Mergers and Acquisitions program gives you a structured understanding of the M&A process and equips you with the tools and skills you need for succeeding in each phase of the process.
The program focuses on M&A as a means to implement company strategy and deepens participants’ understanding of different phases of the process from the M&A strategy and deal phase to post-merger integration and leading change.
The program will add significantly to your ability to perform and contribute when participating in any phase of the M&A process. You will learn the latest knowledge and best practices from the leading experts in the field, which you can share with your organization.
During this program, you will learn how to make your organization better prepared for M&A in the changing business and technology landscape. You will learn to identify and use the right tools for each phase of the M&A process. You will enhance your organization’s chance of smart acquisitions, successful integrations, and continued business success.
How M&A can help your organization to accomplish its strategic objectives and how you can best lead (or contribute to) a successful M&A
The entire M&A process and what it means for you and your organization in different phases
Key frameworks, tools, and best practices, including how to recognize common success factors and pitfalls
Contents and Schedule
The program will be taught through a mix of lectures, exercises and case discussions.
Industry guest speakers will invited to the program to share their experiences and learnings on M&A process and integration.
Strategy, Process, and Target Identification in M&A
Analyzing the risks and opportunities of mergers and acquisitions. We will discuss various strategic logics of successful acquisitions and how these are translated into concrete revenue and cost synergies. Multiples-based valuation methods are applied to provide a framework for quantitative analysis of a transaction.
- The role of M&A in business strategy
- Translating strategy into an M&A plan
- The process model and integrated view of M&A
- Identifying and prioritizing acquisition targets
- Key success factors and Common pitfalls in M&A strategy and deal making
Competitive dynamics of M&A: technology and market perspectives. DD & deal structuring
Competitive dynamics of M&A: technology and market perspective
- Anticipating competitive and market response in the age of technology (digitalization, connectivity, AI)
DD & deal structuring
- Key DD considerations, including acquiring technology
- Linking DD to negotiation, valuation, synergy creation, integration and other activities
- Key structuring considerations
- Review of fundamentals of valuation
- Communicating valuation consideration with others
- Key valuation considerations and common pitfalls
- Advanced valuation considerations, including acquiring technology
- Deal structure issues and their impact to valuation
Post merger integration – day 1
- Understanding the dynamics and impact of organizational cultures
- Assessing target organization’s organizational culture and fit
- Bringing organizational cultures together in an integration
- Having the management system right
- The role of strategic agility in M&A and how to achieve it
Post merger integration – day 2
- Process perspective to PMI and the advantages of structured approach
- The role of early PMI planning in successful integration
- The connection of early synergy assessment and planning in capturing full value
- Best practices for integration planning and execution
Marcus Alexander is Adjunct Professor of Strategy and Entrepreneurship at London Business School. He received his MA from Oxford University; and his MBA from Harvard Business School, where he was a Harkness Fellow, Baker scholar, Loeb Rhodes Fellow, the Ford scholar and winner of the Wolfe Award...
Dr. Pekka Mattila serves as a Professor of Practice at the Aalto University School of Business. He works frequently with both European and Asian executive audiences on themes of strategic management and agility, strategy co-creation, business model innovation, executive leadership, top team dynam...
Peer-reviewed scientific articlesJournal article-refereed, Original researchStock ownership and political behavior Evidence from demutualizationsKaustia, Markku; Knüpfer, Samuli; Torstila, Sami2016 in MANAGEMENT SCIENCE (INST OPERATIONS RESEARCH MANAGEMENT SCIENCES)ISSN: 0025-1909Is there a futur...
Debbie Wrench leads the Swedish Post Merger Integration team. Wrench has over 15 years of experience in working on mergers, integrations and separations. Wrench has hands-on experience of planning and implementing integrations and separations in the UK, USA, Europe and Chile. Wrench has worked o...
Tapio Koivumäki is Leader of Operational M&A Advisory in Finland, including integration, separation and operational due diligence services for corporate and private equity clients. Koivumäki has worked on numerous complex deals over the last 10 years in TMT, E&R, IP&S, Chemicals, Sec...
Marko Pöllänen is Partner and the leader of Deloitte’s Transaction Services team in Finland and he is specialized in M&A advisory including financial due diligence engagements in both buy-side and sell-side transactions. Pöllänen has long experience from developing strategy, executing M&...
Tomi Merenheimo is the managing partner of Magnusson in Finland. He is a former managing director of a top 10 Finnish law firm, and was previously Vice President of Legal Affairs and Investor Relations at a major Finnish-listed technology company and licensed telecommunications operator. Tomi fo...
I am a partner in Castrén & Snellman's M&A team and a member of our board and management team. I have worked within M&A for almost 20 years and been involved in some 300 transactions, most with a cross-border element. I am often consulted for strategic M&A advice, and take a part...
Videos and materials
Read more about Information Technology
Read more about Negotiations
Because of COVID-19, many providers are cancelling or postponing in-person programs or providing online participation options.
We are happy to help you find a suitable online alternative.