Comprehensive course analysis
Who should attend
While you will meet an international mix of participants from various industries, the Mergers and Acquisitions program is designed for mid-management to senior executives in the C-Suite, directors of public and private companies, board leaders, and heads of strategy and corporate development. It is also geared toward advisers, investment bankers, transactional lawyers, and private equity investors. Individuals and teams are welcome to attend.
About the course
The Mergers & Acquisitions Professional (M&AP) is a program designed to meet the needs of auditing, consulting, deal advisory, investment banking, and legal professionals. The M&AP covers all aspects of the transaction process and provides insight into running a successful M&A boutique. Gain knowledge in best practices for the M&A process, valuation, due diligence and also for a unique module on Running a Successful M&A Practice. Gaining the M&AP designation signals to employers, colleagues and clients that you invest in being the best M&A practitioner you can be.
What to expect
The International Mergers & Acquisitions Expert (IM&A) program dives deep into the entire M&A process—from strategy and valuation to execution and post-merger management (PMI).
Whether managing or advising a merger or acquisition for your company or assisting your clients, we will equip you with the tools and knowledge you need to skip the common pitfalls and succeed.
In the highly interactive on-site course or the self-paced online course, you’ll take your skills to the next level by practicing:
- Gain insight into international best practices
Hone new target identification strategies and advanced synergy analyses to close the best deals and navigate common post-merger integration pitfalls.
- Broaden your horizons
Identifying the true stakeholders and likely competitors for the target ahead of time, so you’re ready with the right strategies and tactics for closing the transaction without trouble.
- Taking your practice to the next level
By “looking ahead and reasoning back,” you’ll practice implementing exceptional value analysis and comprehensive due diligence so you can lead your team into unlocking the most lucrative merger and acquisition opportunities.
Online Self Study Option
The online course offers all the extensive training of the onsite course but with maximum flexibility for busy professionals. This course is designed for self-study, with on-demand video lectures and required readings. The course assignments include real-life business case studies, multiple choice questions, and more. There is no time constraint to complete the online course; so you can set your own schedule and work at your own pace.
The M&AP program is structured in four modules based on our IM&A Framework and Body of Knowledge for Mergers & Acquisitions (for more information click below). It is available to take online or combined with the IM&A onsite.
Essentials of M&A
This module covers the fundamentals of Mergers & Acquisitions:
- Deal types: What are the different types of transactions that you can use in M&A? There is a whole range of deal types and deal continuum that we look at, e.g. the full spectrum from minority stakes to full acquisitions, various ways to arrange a merger, leveraged buy outs (LBOs), initial public offerings (IPOs), divestitures, spin-offs, equity carve-outs-
- M&A Process: The program covers both perspectives from a buyer’s perspective (buy side) and from a seller’s perspective (sell-side). We explore how to seek buyers or potential targets (long list & short list) and how to run a sale in various ways (negotiations and auctions).
- Strategies for M&A: We dive into the strategies for Megers & Acquisitions. How can you create competitive advantage through M&A, divestitures and equity alliance?
- M&A Negotiation: How can you prepare for the negotiation phase? What are ways to arrange a value creating deal?
- Introduction to Due Diligence: How do you prepare for and execute a smart Due Diligence to assure value creation? What are the different areas that can be covered in the Due Diligence process?
- Success Factors in Transactions: We explore the success factors and key challenges and mistakes to avoid. Which M&A tactics work in which industries?
- Takeover Strategies and Defense Tactics: How can you prepare your company against a hostile takeover attempt and reduce potential threats? Which are the defense mechanisms that you can put into place and how effective are they? Which ways exist to acquire a business successfully in a hostile way?
In the Due Diligence module, we discuss the key questions and topics to address in a due dilligence. It covers the followin areas of DD indepth:
- Financial Due Diligence
- Tax Due Diligence
- Legal Due Diligence
- Human Resources (HR) Due Diligence
- Commercial Due Diligence and
- other Due Diligence areas
In the valuation module, you will explore the
- Different Valuation Techniques for Mergers & Acquisitions: Various techniques such as Discounted Cash Flow (DFC) modelling, Transaction and Trading Multiples, and more will be explained step by step including a demonstration of building models in excel.
- Private Equity & Start Up Valuation
- Deal Financing & Payment Structure
- Deal Design & Structure
Running A Successful M&A Practice
The Running a Successful Practice should give you insights of how to attract clients and manage firm as well as M&A projects and portfolios. The following aspects are covered:
- Business Strategy: How to align the strategy in the private capital markets and to position in the industry of mid-market M&A.
- Mid-Market Advisory: Environment in the fragmented middle market, the importance of a transition team, the ownership life cycle, demand and supply of companies in this market, Transfer Cycle (example of the US market), capital trends, Corporate Finance for the Mid-market; Public vs. Private Markets; Private Equity and Private Debt; the landscape of Private Equity; Channels for Transfer and the different categories of buyers; how to build a transition Identification of Growth and Cost Synergies and their realization
- Sale & Purchase Agreements (SPAs): Stock vs. Asset Purchase Agreements; Preambles and Recitals; Seller and Buyer Representations and Warranties; Covenants; Closing Conditions; Indemnification; Termination; General Provisions..
- Tax Restructuring: Essential points in optimizing tax structures; reasons for tax restructuring; guiding principles; evaluating current tax regimes; Common MNC Structures; Tax Structure on a deal level; Tax efficient transactions
- M&A Insurance: Transaction liability insurance; Warranty & Indemnity (W&I) Insurance: Buy-side and Sell-side Policies; Advantages of the W&A Insurance; Options in the M&A process; Coverage periods; Key principles; Exclusions; Premium, Retention and Limit; Recent developments with respect to cross-border transactions; Common forms of breaches; Timing of Claims, Claims by Transaction Volumen, and Claim Amounts.
- 30 hours onsite or approx. 60 hours online
- Leading faculty from academia and the industry
- Split into four, easy-to-digest modules
- Content updated regularly
- Pre-requisite: Hold an academic degree (e.g. PhD, JD, DBA, MBA or Bachelor Degree); and/or hold one or more professional designations (such as CPA, CFA, CAIA or equivalent)
Videos and materials
Read more about Negotiations
Because of COVID-19, many providers are cancelling or postponing in-person programs or providing online participation options.
We are happy to help you find a suitable online alternative.