Who should attend
Mid- and senior leaders new to evaluating and executing M&A and other strategic alliance decisions for their firms are good fits for this program. Past participants have included:
- Business development leaders
- CEOs, CFOs, COOs, and executive directors of finance
- Senior business analysts
- Leaders of business units or divisions
- Investment bankers
- Transactional and private equity lawyers
- Private equity investors
- General counsels
- Private business owners
About the course
Today’s dynamic and hyper-competitive business environment is fueling increased merger and acquisition activity across the business spectrum. Organizations large and small, publically- and privately-held, multinational and regional are all recognizing the opportunity and potential value-add from M&A deals. Consequently, leaders at all types of organizations must be able to strategically evaluate and assess these opportunities. Through case studies, simulations, and discussions with experienced deal makers, leading Carlson School business faculty, expert guest speakers, and peers, you will learn best practices across all elements of the M&A process, including strategy, fit, valuation, negotiation, deals, diligence, culture, and integration.
In this hands-on, interactive course, leaders will learn to:
- Explore the critical steps and practical tools to effectively work through the M&A process, from strategy, valuation, and deal execution to culture considerations and post-merger integration
- Consider the M&A process from both a buyer and seller's perspective
- Examine current M&A trends, accounting and legal updates, and valuation techniques
- Use strategy to drive the M&A focus and identify acquisition targets
- Maximize the value of M&A activity through strategic imperative and alignment
- Leverage a reliable, flexible framework for analyzing, valuing, and executing M&A
- Realize the success of M&A integration relies heavily on both strategic fit as well as organization and culture considerations
Education PhD 1992 Strategic Management, Massachusetts Institute of Technology PGDBA (MBA) 1975 Indian Institute of Management, Ahmedabad BA 1973 Honors, Economics St. Stephen's College, Delhi University Expertise Interfirm networks, location, geography and knowledge transfer The performanc...
Education Masters Industrial Relations University of MN Carlson School of Management B.S. Business Administration University of Minnesota Expertise A dedicated energetic educator and HR professional with over 25 years experience in HR and 15 years in teaching at the graduate and undergraduate ...
For the past year, designed and taught new condensed mergers and acquisitions (M&A) classes to DBAs, MBAs, Undergraduates, and Executive Education professionals. These courses were taught at the University of Minnesota and in Tokyo and New York City. For previous 6 years, managed the Carlson ...
R. Dru Drake is a distinguished member of the Carlson Executive Educator Network at Carlson School of Management. His teaching practice has included Guest Lecturer on External Growth Strategy, and Acquisition & Integration to MBA students and corporate executives at the Carlson School and McD...
Videos and materials
Read more about Negotiations
Because of COVID-19, many providers are cancelling or postponing in-person programs or providing online participation options.
We are happy to help you find a suitable online alternative.