About the course
Get to the heart of what it takes to develop people so they can conquer more complex roles and create a path toward fulfilling their aspirations. The best mentors go well beyond story-telling and teaching concepts; they excel as masters of development, leveraging the relationship for maximum growth. Learn the deliberate skills used to: create a strong foundation for the relationship; ask thoughtful and courageous questions; widen perspective and increase self-awareness; spur experimentation for growth; and manage unanticipated mentor challenges. Learn about the magic of applying masterful mentor practices using case studies, small group discussion, and tools.
Optimize your role as mentor
- Distinguish your role as mentor from others such as coaches and consultants
- Understand your motivation to be a mentor
- 7 guiding principles of masterful mentors
Establish the relationship, direction and goals
- Finding common ground, identifying roles and expectations
- Setting the tone for in-depth work together
- Creating the mentee's goals and your own
- Leverage experience for development
- Shaping the most effective experiences for development
- Taking an experimental stance to growth
- Enlisting others for insight and feedback
Expand growth using everyday psychology and the power of questions
- Understanding how to personally gear your mentee's growth; creating safety, building self-awareness, and broadening perspective
- Formulating questions that are thoughtful, developmental, engaging and focused toward specific lessons
- Listening in ways that extend their thought process
Address mentor challenges
- Neutralizing four relationship roadblocks
- Succeeding with mentees who are challenging
- Anticipating closure as the crucial last phase of formal mentoring
- Preparing for and conducting the wrap-up conversation
Wendy Axelrod, PhD is Managing Partner of Talent Savvy Manager, LLC, a human capital consultancy focused on talent development. Wendy is a recognized expert in manager-driven, performance-centered people development. Over the past 30 years, both as a corporate executive and external consultant, s...
Videos and materials
Because of COVID-19, many providers are cancelling or postponing in-person programs or providing online participation options.
We are happy to help you find a suitable online alternative.