Who should attend
- Individuals involved in the operation and financial performance of a restaurant or food and beverage service, from line-level employees through general management.
- Individuals who are new to the food and beverage industry and need to learn more about the specifics around restaurant operations.
- Students from every continent and from a diverse range of organizations, including franchisees, managed service contractors such as stadiums or arenas, hospitals, airlines and caterers.
- Students who do not work in restaurants but need to be conversant in operations of food and beverage providers will also benefit from these courses.
About the course
Your operation’s brand is comparable to having a contract with the customer, and the expectation is that value will be delivered in relative accordance with price and quality of service. But keeping food costs down is no easy task. In fact, it’s one of the most detail-oriented, scientific processes that go into running a restaurant and there are many challenges with keeping food costs controlled.
In this course, you’ll learn to optimize your operation’s profits by effectively managing your selection, procurement, receiving, storage and inventory management processes.
- Evaluating recipes and product specifications to ensure quality and consistency
- Determining how much product to purchase
- Choosing the right suppliers for your needs
- Evaluating receiving practices and identifying opportunities to reduce cost and waste
- Applying best practices in storage and inventory control
Alex M. Susskind is an associate professor at the School of Hotel Administration and a member of the graduate field of communication at Cornell University. He earned his PhD in communication (with cognates in organizational communication and organizational behavior) from Michigan State University...
Videos and materials
Read more about Transportation and Logistics
Because of COVID-19, many providers are cancelling or postponing in-person programs or providing online participation options.
We are happy to help you find a suitable online alternative.