Comprehensive course analysis
Who should attend
If you have responsibility for leading an organization, initiative/project and/or team that relies heavily on data and information for decision-making, this program will benefit you.
About the course
Analytics is the combination of science and art that allows organizations to transform data into actionable insights to enable effective decision-making. With increasing amounts of data available to organizational leaders, it can be challenging to generate and apply the ‘right’ information to business and organizational challenges. Learn tools and methods that leaders can apply to real-world problems using data to: determine what happened – assess what might happen – prescribe what should happen.
Improve your ability to:
- Consider organizational challenges for which solution development would benefit from analytics
- Ask questions and frame problems that empower and guide your technical experts to source and compile the most relevant data to inform your analytics capability development and delivery
- Understand how to assess your organization in terms of its data and analytical maturity
- Leverage the technical experts on your team – and the value their efforts can bring the leadership team
This course provides strategic, organizational leaders an introduction to analytics; offers insight into how analytics can be used to address challenging business problems and processes; and explores how to successfully build, implement, and maintain an analytics capability at any organizational level.
You will gain an understanding of the analytics hierarchy, examine successful applications of various analytics tools and techniques from business, and explore what organizations need in terms of analytics strategy, human capital, and technology to successfully incorporate analytics into organizational decision-making.
The course culminates in an exercise that will allow you to articulate an organizational problem, identify needed analytics capabilities, apply analytics tools and techniques, and translate analytics outputs to inform strategic, organizational decision-making.
Introduction to Analytics
- What is analytics? Is analytics new? Where did it come from?
- Descriptive analytics: “Based on our data and problem, what happened?”
- Predictive analytics: “Based on our data and problem, what’s going to happen?”
- Prescriptive analytics: “Based on our data and problem, what should we do to get the best results?”
Using Analytics to Address Organizational Challenges
- Ensuring the business and analytics problems are framed with stakeholder buy-in, where quality data is captured, curated, made available…and used!
- Exploring successful applications of descriptive, predictive, and prescriptive analytics
- Demonstrations of commonly used analytics tools and techniques
Investing and Building Analytics Capabilities
- Analytics strategy – Developing an overarching analytics strategy that drives investment and implementation; Promoting analytics organization-wide for success
- Organizational changes – Integrating analytics into day-to-day and strategic decision-making
- Human capital management – Recruiting, developing, and retaining analytics talent
- Technology needs – Aligning technical capabilities with an analytics strategy
Addressing a Real-World Challenges from an Analytics Perspective
- Applying course elements to identify an organizational problem, propose the building of an analytics capability, and use solution outcomes to inform strategic decision-making
- Translating quantitative analytics outputs into data-driven, problem-centric decision-making
- Assessing metrics and applying continuous model lifecycle management and improvement
- The Future of Analytics Capabilities
- Technology advances – More data, scalable infrastructure, more automation, and real-time analytics
- Human capital needs – Pushing analytics skills to the front line
- Strategy changes – Expanding analytics to explore new processes and challenges
Value For You and Your Organization
Organizational leaders who can ask the right questions, frame the right business and analytics problems, and build the best technical teams are able to make decisions using data-driven, problem-centric approaches that are targeted, accurate, and appropriate for any given organizational problem. This program enables leaders to understand analytics with an eye towards solutions and problem-solving for improved decision-making.
The Executive Programs Short Course Experience
All of our transformational learning experiences provide the right environment for you to quickly develop and apply new capabilities.
You'll have access to a personal learning portal where you will obtain pre-program assignments, travel support (if applicable), and a list of fellow participants. Pre-work prepares you to immediately engage in content and learning allowing for a more effective application of knowledge.
Our learning experiences pair practical action learning and coaching with new knowledge, tools, and perspectives. We'll explore current, real-world examples of how organizations around the globe address critical challenges and how it may relate to yours.
Led by Experts
Plug into our network of thought leaders. Our award-winning teachers, researchers, consultants, and practitioners understand today's leaders and the critical challenges they face. They will work with you to offer guidance before, during, and after each program.
You'll learn as much from your peer cohort as you do from the instructors! The value of different perspectives coming from different organizations and their challenges are immeasurable.
Dr. Solo teaches a variety of courses in Supply Chain Management and Management Information Systems at Penn State. Prior to joining the Smeal faculty, Dr. Solo served over 21 years on active duty in the U.S. Air Force, where he held leadership positions in the intelligence, acquisition program ma...
Nathaniel D. Bastian, Ph.D. is a leader, practitioner, researcher, and educator of mathematical, computational, analytical, data-driven, and decision-centric methods to support the improvement and enhancement of decision-making in cyber security, national defense, military operations, human resou...
Read more about Business Analytics
Read more about Human Capital Management
Because of COVID-19, many providers are cancelling or postponing in-person programs or providing online participation options.
We are happy to help you find a suitable online alternative.